Monday, October 11, 2004

Monday, October 11 Part II

I managed to write two drafts of “The Literary Athlete: Start Here”. I want it to sit for a day or two before I do another pass. The first draft was 88 words over the count. The second draft was only 11, and I think I can tighten it even more. The first draft had a repetition that seemed rhythmic as I wrote, but is . . .well . . .repetitive when you read it. So it had to go. The second draft gets to the point better, but I still think I can be even clearer.

Wrote two episodes of Angel Hunt. I want to write more today, but I think I’m written out.

Answered ten tarot questions as part of putting together the tarot column. I hadn’t planned on answering more than two or three today, but the reading flowed well, and when it’s going well, you don’t want to shut off the spigot. So I concentrated a good part of the afternoon on readings. They were interesting and surprising in a good way, and I can’t write about them here in detail because of client confidentiality.

RENT booked me for another matinee in November, so I’m doing one show a month there for the next few months, which is better than zero shows a month. I haven’t worked that show since the spring – I hope it comes back to me.

Did some research on demonology and on ceremonial ritual for Angel Hunt. Ceremonial ritual just makes my eyes cross. I respect that the people who do it find it powerful and wonderful and meaningful. But it seems like a lot of busywork to pull out what should already be natural and close to the surface. Where Ceremonials find all the props and the do-it-exactly-this-way-or-it-goes-boom brings them closer to their innate spirituality, I feel all that stuff would get in the way for me. It’s still interesting to learn how it all works. And how other paths contain meaning.

Colin is teaching me how to build a website – he’s redesigned the Devon Ellington site and it works a heck of a lot better than it did. Looks better, too. Now he’s teaching me how it all works and how I can create and maintain it. The man has the patience of a saint. I’m technologically impaired when it comes to my computer. I just have to get stubborn and keeping doing it until I learn the right way. What I lack in technological talent I will have to make up for in sheer hard work.

Because it was cold, I kept a pot simmering on the stove with cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, allspice, and lemon peel. Not only is the house warm and not so throat-chokingly dry, it also smells good.

The sun is going down and the cats are waking up. It’s going to be a busy night.

Off to write four pages of The Other Project and then call it a (writing) day.

Devon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home