Saturday, November 20, 2004

November 20 Part III


Stopped on my way to the theatre to help some LTs (Lovely Tourists). I took pictures of them with the stone lions outside the NY Public Library, Patience and Fortitude. Pat and Fort had a good scrub recently and are absolutely gleaming.

I adore Patience and Fortitude. It’s to the point where I won’t watch a disaster movie set in NYC if Pat and Fort get destroyed.

Why the nicknames? Well, how would you like to be a male lion named Patience? So I call ‘em Pat and Fort, and to date, neither one has complained. If it changes, you all can visit me in the rubber room at Bellevue. Because if those lions start talking to me, I will have lost what’s left of my mind.

The library is getting decorated for the holidays, and they’re putting up the Fete de Noel in Bryant Park – vendors of handcrafted holiday ornaments, etc. Last year, I didn’t get to go until nearly Christmas Eve. This year, I’ll try to get there early – the Scandinavian and Eastern European ornaments were particularly beautiful, and I’d like to add some to my collection.

I had a blast at Rent. Cast changes are continual, so there were several actors where the first time I met them was in our first change. “Hi, I’m your dresser today. Take your pants off.” In the first very, very, VERY fast change, with one of my new actors, we hit the groove right away and he even had time to say, “You rock!” before running back out on stage.

Bit of backstage lore: A professional actor, no matter how much or little experience the performer has, will always say “thank you” at the end of a change. You can do hundreds of shows together, and it’s a professional courtesy done each time. Any one who doesn’t is an amateur, no matter how famous said person might be, and won’t last long in theatre.

Needless to say, all the actors on Rent and on Wicked say “thank you.” Those who don’t are quickly trained to do so. Those who refuse to learn . . .well, you don’t hear too much about their so-called careers when they leave. The refusal of such a basic courtesy is usually the tip of the iceberg of much bigger problems.

In most (but not all) instances, the bigger and longer lasting the talent, the kinder and more courteous the performer. The smaller the talent, the more insecure the performer, and the ruder the performer. You can get away with much more on film, where you have numerous takes to get it right and much can be hidden with special effects. On theatre – if you can’t cut it, you’re gone. Thank goodness.

One of many reasons I prefer the theatre.

One of the actors with whom I get along really well is back as a swing, and was thrilled to see me. He left to create a role in another show. The show, unfortunately, flopped, so he came back as a swing to this one. When I dressed him previously, we would laugh so much we barely got the changes done. But we always did, and he was always onstage on time. Another one of the leads is back, after a leave of absence so a Famous Pop Star could be in temporarily – who made everyone’s life sheer hell for the brief time she was there.

Came back, did my grocery shopping, and prepared a marinade for chicken. It can marinate all night. It’s based on a recipe in The Silver Palette Cookbook – only I changed a few things. Of course.

I might do some work tonight on Charlotte or I might just bag it and push hard tomorrow.

I had some questions about one of the writing jobs to which I’m applying. The ad reads well, I know I could do an excellent job, but something feels off. So I e-mailed a bunch of questions. The responses will help me decide whether or not I’ll do the proposal.

I have got to decompress for a bit before I try to hit the keyboard again.

D.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home