Saturday, December 11, 2004

Dec. 11 Part III


Here are some answers to interesting e-mails I’ve received:

1. Having a drink with a handsome archaeologist in the lobby of NYC hotel is not a euphemism for anything. It’s a literal rendering of what happened. Because I don’t believe in coincidence, I am sure that our paths crossing last night has something to do with one of my numerous projects, which is why I mentioned it. I don’t discuss my love life or my sex life in this blog. Fortunately, in my case, they are one and the same right now. The day I stop appreciating an attractive man is the day you might as well put me six feet under, because, honey, there’s no pulse.

2. Several people have asked me to cast my serials. In other words, if they were made into films, who would play the roles? I’m not going there, because I don’t want previous characters played by known actors to colour my writing. I prefer to work in the independent realm, anyway, because I feel casting is so important and I’m not willing not to have the final approval. When I cast, I prefer not to chase celebrities. I’m interested in actors, not stars. While there are some performers who can encompass both, too often they are far too tied in with an image and that becomes superimposed upon whatever they do. I prefer to cast actors who are not famous and who have strong backgrounds in theatre, especially Shakespeare. I insist on a classical monologue in auditions. If you can speak Shakespeare in a conversational way, you can handle any sort of dialogue. And, by throwing out my pre-conceived notions of physical characteristics and casting the actor who connects the most strongly with the material, I end up with a much more varied cast than if I set up limitations.


On to other things: I couldn’t paint because my kitchen butts up against the neighboring apartment’s bathroom, where the renovation is going on. The table shook so badly that I’d have made a mess.

Matthew Darby is arguing with me in The Widow’s Chamber. He wants to play a more central role. Since he was supposed to be disposable and has positioned himself as a main character, I think he should get over himself, but we have to negotiate. He has some valid points, and I reminded him that he has a huge role in the dénouement, but he’s not satisfied.

And to reassure my faithful readers, the drunks from the jail sequence in Nashville are returning – and not just by popular request. By the time I’d finished their episodes, they were so endearing, I knew I couldn’t just kill them off, the way I’d originally planned.

Back to arguing with Matthew.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home