Friday, December 17, 2004

Dec. 17 Part II

Spent the morning catching up on business-related stuff and e-mails, which stacked up to overflowing while I was in the city yesterday. I wasn’t feeling particularly creative (too damn bad), so I thought I’d take care of this stuff and at least get something accomplished.

Resent the material that hadn’t gone through for the KIC mag business-related material, read a submission and edited an article. I have one more article to edit and then I’m caught up. It’s a good article, but I’m trying to balance a good editorial flow with keeping the writer’s voice intact. It’s a challenge. The writer is comma crazy. I’d like to simply fix the sentences, but then it’s too choppy and does the writer a disservice. I’ve done five or six edits on the piece – trying to get inside the writer’s head and voice to gently guide it into the strongest piece it can be and retain the voice. Because, ultimately, it’s not about how I want the piece to read – it’s giving the writer the support to make the writer’s voice its best and strongest.

I can feel creative ideas percolating – an intense experience such as an inspirational museum day always requires some bubbling time before it comes to fruition. I know I’m not wasting time, even though I’m not putting the words on paper, because I know when the work comes to a boil, I’ll be able to get a lot done quickly. I have to let it build up, sort of like a head of steam on a locomotive.

This sensation is very different than the feeling of being unproductive – which also sometimes happens. When I’m feeling unproductive, I sit down and do it anyway. When I feel the creative cauldron starting to boil, I engage in other activities so it can do its thing. It’s taken me a long time to figure out when I’m simply procrastinating, and when the process needs its freedom. Physically and mentally, each feels very different.

I may have been a bit harsh with a writer who’s starting out on one of the forums. The writer talked about a lack of self-confidence and wondering why anyone would be interested in what the writer has to say. I challenged the writer to stop being so self-involved – ultimately, it’s not about the writer, it’s about the work. It’s communicating both information and enthusiasm. It’s “look at this unusual project this interesting person is doing” not “I, me, mine”. “I, me, mine” is for diaries, memoirs . . .and blogs! :)





1 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Blogger Diana said...

You have a lovely blog here, Devon. I'll definitely be back.

Thanks again for your comment on my blog (Seeking Clarity), and I would love to see that list you mentioned. You can email me at bloggingdi@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home