Sunday, December 12, 2004

December 12 Part II


Wrote four and a half issues of The Widow’s Chamber. Edited six issues and sent them off. I’ve completed up through Issue #121, which means I’m in striking distance of where I should be, which is issue #129. I won’t get there by today, but I can achieve it this week, as long as I can maintain doing one issue of WC each day along with the issues of Cutthroat Charlotte.

I now have 516 manuscript pages of The Widow’s Chamber, and I’m rather stunned at how the pages have accumulated.

I’m very happy with the way the current issues are flowing. Daisy Montagu had a shock up her sleeve, which feeds into Colin Ferguson’s fate in a bizarre way. I love it that my characters are still able to surprise me.

WC always takes the longest to prepare to send to my editor, because I write it in regular, double-spaced manuscript format and then convert it to the format my editor needs. The other three are written directly into the editor’s preferred format, and I’ll eventually convert them into manuscript format.

In the course of the past year, I’ve written the equivalent of four novels thanks to my serial contracts. I’ve extended three contracts for nine more months. At the end of that time, I have to think about which ones to end, unless the serial subscriptions grow exponentially. They are growing at a steady rate, but in order for the income to balance the work required, I have to get more subscriptions. Otherwise, it’s not good business sense to keep up this pace. And one of my goals in 2005 is to show better business sense.

My eyes hurt, so I’m going to take a bit of a break from the computer for awhile. I’m debating whether or not to try to push out some more issues of WC or to resume work on Ransagh.

As I review unfinished projects and prioritize them for 2005, I think I’m going to put Ransagh and Intricacies of a Labyrinth at the top. Those two are the projects involving the most risk and pull at me the most strongly. Periwinkle and Change on the Fly I think are easier sells – so the Business Angel’s telling me I should complete those first. But both Ransagh and Intricacies of a Labyrinth are breaking new ground. I’ve never read anything quite like them, and I think one of the reasons I’m writing them is because of frustrations I have with some genre-based material I’ve read recently. So, of course, the Creative Angel is telling me to go for those. I have to keep both Business and Creative in balance next year – not lean too far in either direction.

In other words, I have to be smart.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home