Sunday, January 09, 2005

Jan. 9 Part II

I worked up several drafts of “Lindisfarne: Solitude in the Mist” and I finally have one with which I’m happy. I cut most of the personal anecdotes, using “I” quite lightly. The final draft has some sensory details that I think communicate the sense of place better than the anecdotes.

Thanks to Michelle for reading several drafts of the article and commenting. It was a huge help.

The article is off and all I can do is wait. My scanner’s not working. I have a call in to tech support. I may have to go to Kinko’s or something and have them throw it on CD as jpg files so I can send the photos in the next few days.

Most of my Lindisfarne photos turned out to be in storage and inaccessible. I found three really good ones of the Priory: The arch, the stonework, and the High Altar. And there’s one overlooking the sheep fields towards the castle. They were taken on a drizzly day and look appropriately mysterious.

The migraine still rages and I haven’t been able to work on Widow’s Chamber. It took everything I had to finish the article.

Today is one of those days where I feel like a failure. I haven’t done any work on any of the serials and I feel guilty at not being completely selfless in regard to the show.

There’s a saying: “The theatre is a jealous mistress.” What’s the male counterpart of mistress? I’m not sure. Lover? Close enough for this analogy. Well, I’ve been faithful to the theatre for many, many years, but I’m getting ready to marry the writing. And in this case, marriage means jettisoning the lover.

I had so hoped it would be a smooth, painless transition.

The migraine is simply a physical manifestation of the emotional situation.

I may call it a night, writing-wise and just put a compress on my head and either watch stupid TV (which might make it worse) or put on gentle music.

Later tonight, because it is Dark of the Moon, is my big remembrance ceremony for the tsunami victims.

Will rest now.

D.

3 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

You're welcome! And I hope you get to feeling better. Migrains are the pits.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger shadow said...

You're right, Devon, it sounds like we are both at a major "reset" in our lives.

I've come to a point where I've manged to let go (almost) of the idea of staying here and am almost ready to move.

The problem is I have too much of an attachment to this island. The shop is no longer "mine" and I really think I'm ok with that. Finally.

Hang in there. You can't fill a cup with new wine if the old wine is still there.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Angela said...

I hope you're feeling better today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home