Monday, January 10, 2005

Jan. 10 Part II


So I lost another damn writing day that I can ill afford to lose because my scanner’s down. Now, my Multipass is a Dream Machine – does everything for me but cook dinner – and SCAN.

I spent the entire afternoon with support and the guy was LOVELY, but we haven’t solved the problem. Everything is running the way it should be, except that the scanner won’t actually DO anything.

The old 3-in-1 got set up again, but can’t save the scanned photos as JPEGs, which is what I need. It used to – I don’t know why suddenly JPEG is no longer an option. I have photos in my computer scanned on it that are JPEGs.

And I still have five issues of various serials to write and the day’s nearly gone. I lose tomorrow because of day work.

I am so sick of constantly losing time because of technical problems. If I charged Microsoft by the hour for the time lost because of their stupid technical glitches, in October and November alone I could have invoiced them for $17,000. (I kept track). I lose 1/3 to 1/2 of almost every writing day because of run-time errors and other problems that should not happen. I lose several days in a row whenever there’s a virus – in spite of every possible firewall/protector/etc. installed.

And trying to now be creative when I’m so frustrated and just ready to cry is not the best way to get the episodes done.

I’m telling you – I’m going back to quill pens and parchment.

Needless to say, the migraine is back, full-force.

Well, sometimes you just have a bad day – or a couple in a row. Maybe this is my quota for January? And another thing – my daily horoscope? It lied. It promised me a good and productive day.

D.



2 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Devon, perhaps a little something from Yeats to soothe the day:

The Lake Isle of Innisfree
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.
***
(PS: Thank you for your encouraging comments to me. Btw, it made me smile to see the "fantasist" link on your blog. Gee!)

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Colin said...

This frustrates me because I wish I could help! Losing all that time to runtime errors is bad - really bad. There must be something wrong with the original setup in the registry.

The only thing I can recommend from this distance is remove any applications you don't need and reinstall what you do.

Have you thought of getting a Mac?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home