Monday, January 24, 2005

Jan. 24 Part III

Ink in My Potting Soil
This is the Garden Section of the blog. Garden? With a Northern Exposure in an apartment, it’s a bunch of pots. Fortunately, the avocado I planted as a joke is now growing bark.

Anyway, I’ll make entries occasionally about the ups and downs of my “gardening” life.

Every year, I have dreams of Gardening Grandeur. Every year, I’m limited by the lack of natural light and I haven’t been able to set up a proper Grow Light.

But I keep trying.

Anyway, this afternoon, when I should have been writing, but was, instead, procrastinating, I ordered seeds for the coming planting season:

Watercress
Culantro (similar to Cilantro, but not as much of a diva – as opposed to deva – plant)
Creeping Thyme
Tinkerbell Nicotiana (I don’t know what it is, but it seems like it could grow here)
Iceland Poppy (a risk)
Black Knight Scabiosa (don’t know what that is either, but I liked the way it looked)
Northern Lights Wildflowers

Will send off the check in the next day or two and hope the seeds arrive for the next New Moon planting in February. I doubt they’ll be here by Imbolc, but I have some other seeds to do the ceremonial planting on February 1.

I decided not to order the Morning Glory and Moonflower from Johnny’s – the ones I pick up at the local gardening center work better, for some reason.

One year, in Manhattan, I alternated pots of Morning Glory and Moonflower and trained them up my window like a floral curtain. I had blooms all day and all night. I’d love to recreate something like that here.

I can’t wait to have my house so I can really muck around in a garden!


Back to writing:
I did some research on WWI and then 1921 for Glam Hearts.. I have to decide which battles Leonard fought in. I did some basic research on fashion, movies, music, etc. I wanted to make references to The New Yorker – but that didn’t start publication until 1925. True Romance already published in ’21, but I’m not sure I want to refer to it. I will have Leonard somehow smuggle in a bootleg copy of the banned Ulysses, though.

1921 was also the first year of the Miss America competition (Margaret Gorman won), the year that the bra began to replace the corset, the year Trojan condoms hit the mass market, and the year Edith Wharton won the Pulitzer for The Age of Innocence. The Ford automobile was $290. Prohibition already took effect, women received the vote in the previous year and women who enjoyed sexual freedom were called “charity girls”. Is that the same as a mercy f—?

I’m also not quite sure how to work battle memories and stories of poisoned gas attacks into a lighthearted comedy, but it’s an important part of Leonard’s character and I’ll have to find a way.

Somehow, by accident, I downloaded “Kitten on the Keys”, a popular song that year. I’m glad I did, because I really like it and it always helps to have the appropriate music play while I work. I even figured out how to turn it off (after the fifth or sixth time). I know, Colin, I’m completely hopeless.

I wrote the first three scenes of the script while playing an Ella Fitzgerald CD. Meanwhile, the dinner cooked (chicken in red wine sauce, potatoes and spinach). I’ve switched to the Creole Zydeco Farmers while I finish cooking the dinner and through doing the dishes. Can you tell I’m still sulking about the cancelled New Orleans trip? Then I’ll go back to Glam Hearts and try to do another two scenes before calling it a night. They need 60 scenes for the script (it’s tightly structured to their format). Harriet’s a lot of fun, and William is proving himself smarter than expected, which is a good thing. All four main characters have to be evenly matched or the farce won’t work.

D.




2 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Northern Exposure in an apartment - I love it!

Here's a little blurb in response to your procrastination:

The Procrastinator's Creed:

1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.

2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.

4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.

5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesmally small, is not exactly zero.

8. If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.

9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.

10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.

11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.

12. I know that the work cycle is not plan/start/finish, but is wait/plan/plan.

13. I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.

14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator's Society) if they ever get it organized.

*smile*

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Purl,
That WWI story sounds interesting - hope you post it somewhere that we can read it. (I've been rereading The Sun Also Rises lately, which of course gets a person thinking about WWI).
I had a grandfather in that war, and I remember he mentioned being in a "horse cavalry" in Europe, actually riding horseback and fighting. It's hard to imagine.
Good luc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home