Monday, January 31, 2005

Jan. 31 Part III

An episode of Charlotte written, edited and sent to get my ass out of this week’s sling. I’ll have to write several more in tandem with the Widow’s Chamber episodes.

One and a half episodes of Widow’s Chamber. I’m kicking the New Orleans section into gear.

Vacuumed. As much as I fantasize about not having to do housework, I probably get more creative percolating work done while vacuuming, doing laundry or doing the dishes than anything else.

When I held office temp jobs in and around my theatre work (pre-Broadway), I always knew it was time to leave when the boss asked me to place a call for him and then call him to the phone when the party was on the line. I can’t work for anyone who thinks he’s too important to dial his own telephone. And, on the other end, when a secretary calls me for her boss, I tell her when he’s ready to talk to me, he can be on the line when the call comes through; otherwise, I have no time. My time is too valuable to waste on Legends in Their Own Minds.

While vacuuming, I remembered an affair I had several years ago. (Is it still an affair when both parties are single? “Short-term relationship” makes it sound more important than it was). It was with an Artist. Whenever I stayed over, his housekeeper would arrive extra early and start vacuuming directly outside the bedroom door. She didn’t approve of the relationship. She felt I wasn’t rich enough or pliable enough for “her boy”. (He’d chronologically left boyhood many years before, but obviously not emotionally). She was right. He expected me to take a grunt job to pay both sets of bills (maintaining separate residences) so he could do his Work. And to hell with my own. The sex wasn’t that great, the emotional coldness was off-putting, his work just plain wasn’t that good, I pay my own way and expect him to pay his, and no one gets in the way of my work. It started with elaborate wooing and seduction, but once I was bagged, it deteriorated rapidly. I was out of there pretty quickly. He immediately found another young woman, this time with a steadily paying job in business, who was willing to pay for him as a Kept Man. A Kept Man who can’t get recognition – or money – for his work, but hey, as long as he doesn’t have to pay his own bills, I’m sure he doesn’t care.

Back to Widow’s Chamber. I want to get some more work done on it before switching over to Glam Hearts.

D.

3 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Lara said...

Good thing you were too smart to fall for his crap!
And I LOVE the "Legends In Their Own Minds" thing--I need to remember that! :-)

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

"A Kept Man who can’t get recognition – or money – for his work, but hey, as long as he doesn’t have to pay his own bills, I’m sure he doesn’t care."

I have been there and done that. I'm glad that you exited that particular short-term relationship.

"Vacuumed. As much as I fantasize about not having to do housework, I probably get more creative percolating work done while vacuuming, doing laundry or doing the dishes than anything else."

I love your "percolating" observation. I remember my grandmother, who used to talk about the coffee percolating. I think that percolating is an important part of the creative process - whenever, or wherever it happens.

I agree with you about placing calls for the boss. I do collections for a physician. He's always and forever asking staff members to make his calls for him. I'm always grateful when he doesn't ask me.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

As someone who has spent years working in offices, I can appreciate that telephone thing. I will not stay in a job where a manager won't make his own calls. I don't have the time to cater to that kind of ego inflation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home