Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Jan. 12 Part II


More computer nightmares, and I’m pretty sure I lost the travel gig due to the fucking scanner/Microsoft program problems. Once I got the photos on CD, none of the myriad of photo programs would cooperate. I finally managed to backdoor via the C drive and some document file to get in and manipulate the JPEG files so they’re small enough for the editor, and I asked if I could go ahead and send them. I’m sure she’s lost patience with the whole process by now.

And why don’t any of the Manuals actually have relevance to what comes up on the screen? If you’re going to provide directions, make them match how the programs actually run!

I let Canon know in no uncertain terms how displeased I am with the process, as much as I appreciate their support staff’s work. I bought a top-of-the-line multi-function machine and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect all the functions to work.

Microsoft then decided to duplicate all the files on my computer as gibberish files, so I now have two sets of everything. It refused to let me right click anything, so I had to go in and hand delete each of the several hundred gibberish files. More lost hours.

I am so sick of these machines built to self-destruct after two or three years. I shouldn’t have to invest in a new computer system every three years. I want something that will work for ten or more years. One should be able to upgrade a system without everything going boom!

Managed to get the intro and bio line done for an article that a friend requested for her RWA newsletter. Even though it wasn’t due until the end of the month, it was self-contained enough so I could actually focus on it now, so I did it. Wrote a draft of a proposal for a project – not sure if I should run it past an agent – doubtful – or just go directly to publishers. It will need work over several months before it’s ready to go, and, if accepted, would be a huge undertaking, but I think it could do some international good, so it’s worth it.

The weather’s still lousy, so I bagged Valhalla – I’ll go Monday.

Took care of some business correspondence, and I’m trying to decide if I want to try to focus on serials or if I want to write query letters instead. And if I don’t get some filing done, I’ll be really sorry next time I need one of these projects-in-progress.

If I lost the gig, I lost the gig. That’s life. I have a solid article that I’ll market elsewhere, and now that I can actually attach the photos – but now, do I have to go and pay $4/photo every time I want to add photos to an article? Or will Canon actually solve the problem?

It damn well better be the latter.

I also have two other travel articles that need a rewrite so I can market them.

I agreed to do a track for nearly 2 weeks on Wicked. If I’ve lost the travel gig, I need to make up the cash. And if I stash cash now, I can switch to full time day work more quickly. The more I can pay off now, the better shape I’ll be in for the switch. And by pushing now, I can make the transition sooner. Much as I hate to push now, with all the deadlines I’ve got next week.

That means getting home at 1 AM and being up to write every morning no later than 7.

So, I’ll be a little tired next week.

The workshop in Sturbridge is happening. I’ll be teaching a workshop on tarot and oracles for Earth Spirit Herbals in Sturbridge (as Cerridwen Iris Shea) on Sunday, February 6 from 10:30 AM – 4 PM. For more information, you can contact the store directly. I’m very excited.

I designed two flyers to pass out – one for Angel Hunt and one for the tarot column in the KIC mag. I’ll probably bring along a stack of bookmarks, too.

I’ll carry Ransagh will me on the train next week and work on it as I’m in transit. That way, I won’t feel as though I’m losing too much writing time.

I sautéed some eggplant with onion, garlic, tomatoes, rosemary, thyme and basil to go with pork and rice for dinner. I’m going to indulge myself in Lost and The West Wing tonight, since it’ll be a few weeks before I get to see them again, and then go back to Charlotte. I should have a few issues to send off in the morning before I leave for the theatre.

Maybe I’ll also take a nice hot bath in the special healing bath salts. And do an extra long yoga session tomorrow. I’ve been skimping on the yoga and meditation, and it makes a negative difference.

D.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home