Friday, March 04, 2005

March 4 Part II

Between problems with effing Microsoft, AOL, and then my mouse giving up the ghost for the final time, I lost nearly half my already truncated work day.

At least I got a new mouse – and it’s really cool, kind of chrome blue with a light and everything. It even installed properly – the lovely author of the installation instructions was kind enough to list all the obstacles the Microsoft program would try to prevent the mouse driver from installing correctly – even though it’s supposed to be compatible – and how to override each one. So I did it, without even swearing, and it works like a dream. It works better than the mouse that came with the system worked.

I just sent off documents that were due and found that I’m saving approximately 25 seconds per page with the new mouse because it works so smoothly.

And, I can once again use the right-click feature, which means I’ll be able to update the website on the hard drive before uploading it, which makes me much more comfortable.

The process was frustrating, but the outcome was positive.

Of course, they’re renovating yet another apartment AND they’ve turned off the water again. They are turning off the water once a week in this place, without prior notice, which is illegal.

I can’t wait to move into my own house – when something like water going off happens, I want it to be able to deal with it directly.

I had the headphones on playing Elvendrums all afternoon to drown out the constant machine noise. Good thing I took my shower early in the day. If I’d waited until right before I had to leave for the city, I’d be majorly screwed and angry.

Didn’t get much done today, unfortunately. Polished a proposal, did some work demanded by the Business Angel, and got two issues of Widow’s Chamber out. Cam and Nora had an interesting discussion about slavery. It was difficult to craft the argument for a position with which I vehemently disagree, but I had to do it for the story. These aren’t cardboard cutout representations. They are complex people with multiple motivations. As the basis for Cam’s reasons for continuing to own slaves although he disagrees with slavery, I used diaries and letters of the time as research materials. Slavery definitely places a wedge in their relationship, which ratchets up the tension.

I’m trying to decide if I will stay with Nora once this arc is done, or follow one of the other Cavanaughs. Eventually, I want to explore Dudley’s travels in Asia (in the latter half of the 1800s, it was quite a challenging time. And the research will be equally challenging). I might use Arthur’s adventures in San Francisco as my next arc. I want to do an arc of Charlie at sea as well, but I’m wondering if I should save that for the Civil War years. Lots to think about.

I’ll start writing the ball sequence in a few days, and boy, will that be intricate. I’m still not satisfied that I’ve done enough research.

In any case, I have to stop now and eat, and then head to the city. I’d rather stay home and work, but. . .that’s the way it goes.

Remember, one day only eBay sale for Cutthroat Charlotte!

http://www.keepitcoming.net/ebay.html

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home