Saturday, April 02, 2005

April 2, Part II


I got to Greenwich, in spite of the bad weather. The meteorologists predict 12 – 15 hours of rain – there will be problems around here if that’s true.

The class went well. The room itself was inspiring with art prints, books, plays, and listings on the bulletin board for student workshops and publications. Students have a lot more options open to them now than when I went to school!

And, I had an outstanding group of students, which always makes it worthwhile. We could stay within the basic structure, but also range into individual topics of interest. To get to work with such an exciting, creative bunch is always an honor. They jumped in and tried everything – they were fearless! Usually, there’s a student or two who balks – usually, it’s the student who’s more interesting in talking about writing than in actually writing – but all of these students have a commitment to writing. They took ideas and prompts and ran with them. They developed characters, honed dialogue, tried new directions. It was more of a Play-shop than a Work-shop. We got to play. They have talent, they have skill – they listen, observe, create and imagine. If they stay the course, they can all have careers as writers.

It’s pretty rare when an entire class has that potential.

So I’m glad I stuck to my commitment, in spite of the frustrations involved with administration. It was worth it.

I’m going to crash for a bit, and then I have to get back to work on Widow’s Chamber. I’ve got to get the ball sequence figured out. I’ve got at least a dozen storylines to weave into the web, and I have to make sure there aren’t any dangling strands. I’m having fun with the costume research, but I don’t want to make the clothing descriptions so heavy it strikes the actual story out of balance. I’ll overwrite the clothes and then cut it back to a sentence or two.

I will probably do some work on the Vince/Annie piece – I dreamed scenes last night. And someday, it will actually have a name!

D.

1 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Hey Devon! Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful time with this class. Here's my info:

kinchen@mac.com

Take care! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home