Friday, May 06, 2005

Friday May 6 – Derby Ink

Here’s an idea of the horses I’m looking at for tomorrow’s races. I won’t make my decision until I actually see them in the paddock, but, from the charts, these are the ones I’m going to check out first:

CHURCHILL DOWNS

First Race: National Debt to place. I’m also looking at Sunshinebeer because his sire is Silver Charm.

Second Race: Watchem Smokey, sired by Alphabet Soup.

Third Race: I’m looking at Work for a win - -he’s sired by Menifee. Bluegrass Fever is a grandson of the infamous Storm Cat, and he’s shown steady improvement, so he’s worth a look. And I want to look at another of Menifee’s little ones, Maytown, to hit the board.

Fourth Race: Right now, I think I’ll skip it and have a drink. If I fall in love with one of them in the paddock, I’ll bet. Otherwise, I’ll pass.

Fifth Race: Lion Tamer didn’t make the ’03 Derby, but he ran some solid races last year, and he’s worth another look. I’m also looking at Sir Shackleton, who’s beaten Lion Tamer twice.

Sixth Race – The Juvenile: This is the race where I fell for Lunarpal, last year’s winter. I have to see how they look in the paddock before making any guesses.

Seventh Race – Distaff: I’m looking at the Argentinian horse Miss Terrible and also at Boasting and Ticker Tape. I’m hoping Ticker Tape has a few surprises in her.

Eighth Race: Humana Distaff: Madcap Escapade across the board.

Ninth Race – Turf Classic: I’ve won money on both Perfect Drift and Senor Swinger in the past, so I’ll look at them. I also want to see if Place Cowboy can hit the board.

Tenth Race – Kentucky Derby: I’m sticking with Bandini. Right now, I plan to bet Bandini, Noble Causeway, and Sun King across the board; I’ll box Bandini and Noble Causeway in an exacta. I’ll toss a few bucks at Greeley’s Galaxy and Giacomo to show. I’m not sure what to do with Afleet Alex and Wilko yet, and I want to take another look at Flower Alley.

Eleventh Race: Safety Martial was sired by War Chant, another of my favorite horses. This is Safety Martial’s first race and first time Lasix, so definitely worth consideration. I also want to look at another Menifee baby, this one called Kiss the Flame. KTF was third in the last two races at the same distance, so I hesitate to do more than a show bet, but we’ll see how the horse looks in the paddock.

Twelfth Race: Bavarian Baron and Prayer Service. The latter was sired by Stephen Got Even, and the grandsire is AP Indy.

A quick look at the other races around the country, and here are some horses I think are worth a look:

BELMONT:
Race Two: Record Buster (sired by Alphabet Soup) and Deputy Indy (sired by AP Indy, with the grandsire as Seattle Slew).

Sixth Race: Rumspringa & Minister’s Joy

Eighth Race: Acey Ducey, with Diane Nelson in the irons.

PHILADELPHIA PARK:
First Race: Shannon’s Rebel

Third Race: Spooky Girlfriend

Eighth Race: Urban Angel


PIMLICO:
Tenth Race: Lothar to place ONLY if he behaves in the gate.


DELAWARE PARK:
Sixth Race: Raging Beauty (first time Lasix) and Ebony Star.

I’ll wrap up today’s picks later tonight.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home