Friday, May 20, 2005

May 20 Part II

I’m reading one of the books I bought in Wells, Maine, called The Winter Beach by Charlton Ogburn, Jr. During the course of a winter, he journeys from East Hampton, NY up to Mount Desert Island in Maine and all the way down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. It was published in 1966 – it’s interesting to see how many environmental concerns have remained the same in the interim.

It also makes me realize that, in order to do justice to the Salt Marsh stories, I need to get up to speed on geology, biology, ornithology, zoology and botany at least.

I wonder where I should set the whaling saga: New Bedford? Sag Harbor? Somewhere in Maine? Nantucket?

I’m tired of media hypocrisy. If the US is truly outraged at the photos of Saddam Hussein in his underwear published by a Brit tabloid, why are they plastered all over our television screens over and over again? Can’t have it both ways, people. I also think showing and reshowing and RESHOWING the footage of the highway cop mowed down by a truck changing lanes is revolting. Yeah, the guy lived, but I think it’s disgusting and inappropriate to show the actual impact on television. And how come an incorrect article in Newsweek that allegedly caused people’s deaths only gets a few slapped wrists, while anchorman Arthur Ch’ien’s use of the “f” word to two rowdies disrupting a live broadcast – which he voiced when he thought they were off the air – caused him to be fired? Why isn’t there security sent out with camera crews to keep these jerkoffs from interfering with live broadcasts? They’re not funny, they’re not clever, they’re merely disrespectful, and it sure wouldn’t bother me to know their heads were bashed against the pavement by a security guard. If you’ve ever worked a live shoot and had to deal with these a-holes, you’ll understand the strong response. They’re allowed to rough up a crew, but the crew’s not supposed to defend themselves. Uh, no.

I want news. I want facts. I want evidence. Reporting has been replaced with gossip-style info-blurbs and I’m tired of it.

And I’d like to know where the “liberal media” constantly getting harangued actually is? You’d think it would be in and around New York, given its diverse and supposedly educated population, but I sure as heck can’t find any. I’d like to see something beside corporate hype and the Infotainment for Idiots that’s broadcast every day non-stop.

D.

2 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I'll vote Maine! It's so beautiful there. Cool spot for a whaling story - and all kinds of neat whaling legends to slip in.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Apparently, the truth is now to be equated with leftist bias.

The Infotainment, the reality TV, propaganda, what have you - it's all mind numbing.

Give me a good book any day, I say.

It's a dog and pony show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home