Friday, May 20, 2005

May 20 Preakness Ink


I’m getting truly annoyed at the dismissal of Giacomo. No matter what happens tomorrow, he ran a great race in the Derby. He’s got a great chance in the Preakness. Will he win? Nobody knows, and nobody will know until the race is over.

Frankly, I hope he wipes the field with everyone.

For today’s races at Pimlico:
8th Race
: I’m going to take a look at Loch Nessie. If she doesn’t mind getting her feet wet, I’ll probably bet on her.
9th Race: Ashado with Saintliness and Colony Band. Saintliness is a daughter of Holy Bull and her half brother Giacomo won a little something called the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago.
10th Race: Spun Sugar and Pleasant Chimes with a look at Runway Model.
11th Race: I had a typo in yesterday’s ink, calling it the 10th race, which it isn’t. Funny Cide and Pollard’s Vision are running in the 11th Race today. My apologies. They like the slop, so I’ll stick with them.

Preakness Day (May 21)
Here are some of the horses I’ll look at tomorrow. Money decisions will be made as close to post time as possible.
Pimlico:
1st Race
: Uncle Pick Six – he won his last race at Pimlico at this distance, plus he gets Edgar Prado as his jockey. His sire’s Boston Harbor, I horse I like.
Love’s Strong Heart – gut feeling, so I’ll take a look.
2nd Race: He Devil – because of his sire, Devil His Due, and his jockey, Ryan Fogelsonger. I might pair him with Indy Storm, who was sired by AP Indy, who was sired by Seattle Slew.
3rd Race: Lovable Rogue – not for his sire, Joyeaux Danseur, but his grandsire, Nureyev. Any time I pass over a horse with Nureyev in the pedigree, I regret it. Last race this horse won was here in Pimlico in April ’04.
4th Race: Skip
5th Race – The Woodlawn:
Skip.
6th Race – The Murmur farm 50 K: I might combine Aspen Moon with Quiet Gratitude. Both like Pimlico. Aspen Moon has early speed; Quiet Gratitude comes from behind. Might be worth a boxed exacta.
7th Race – Galrett Handicap (Turf): Gelli (daughter of Geri), if she’s in the mood to run. Sometimes she starts slow or swings so wide she fades. When she’s focused, she’s good. Also Path of Thunder (daughter of Thunder Gulch). She seems to be coming in to her own and this could be her day.
8th Race – Maryland B.C. Handicap: Skip.
9th Race – Dixie (Turf): Artie Schiller – he likes this course and has won on it before. And he’s a wonderful horse. I want to take another look at Cool Conductor, who ran on Derby Day, won, and was disqualified. I didn’t bet on him then – I want to take another look today.
10th Race – Sir Barton 100K: Monster Chaser – he’s hit the board in each of his last seven races, and Killenaule, who is the son of Fusaichi Pegasus, which is all I need to know. I have a long shot pick in this race – B. Trick, sired by Phone Trick. When Phone Trick was underestimated, he did well, and I hope he passed that trait along.
11th Race –William Donald Schaefer Handicap:
I plan to combine Clay’s Awesome (sired by Awesome Again) with Alumni Hall (another son of AP Indy and grandson of Seattle Slew). Keeneland is Alumni Hall’s favorite track, but he should do well against this field.
12th Race -- The Preakness:
Giacomo – across the board
Greeley’s Galaxy – across the board if it rains; place and show if it’s dry.
Afleet Alex – across the board
Galloping Grocer – place and show
Scrappy T – place and show
Boxed exactas: one each with Giacomo and each of the above horses.
Boxed Trifecta – my G Box – Giacomo, Galloping Grocer and Greeley’s Galaxy.
Wilko – to show.
I’m skipping Noble Causeway and Sun King unless they blow me away in the paddock. I’ll keep my wallet shut on them probably until summer in Saratoga.
Malibu Moonshine is still a question mark for me.
13th Race: Flamin Sun.

Other Tracks:
Philadelphia Park:
3rd Race:
Spooky Girlfriend. I’ll try this horse again.

Finger Lakes:
6th Race:
Mesolithic. Every time I put money on this horse, no matter the track, I cash a ticket.

Delaware Park:
2nd Race:
Romanov Star – granddaughter of Nureyev, as a long shot to hit the board.
6th Race: Java Soup, sired by Alphabet Soup.
8th Race: Fantastica Roma – an Argentinean-bred with Nureyev as grandsire.

Belmont Park:
1st Race:
Easterly Breeze, daughter of Fusaichi Pegasus, trained by Kiaran McLaughlin, ridden by Richard Migliore, at least to hit the board. I hope the handicappers underestimate her.
2nd Race: Magic Belle – a stubborn filly who won her last race at Aqueduct. Has Norberto Arroyo, a stubborn jockey. Could be a good combo.
4th Race – Turf: Naughty New Yorker. He’s been beaten by Scrappy T, Galloping Grocer, and Bellamy Road, but shouldn’t have any trouble against this field.
5th Race – Turf: Vanity Fair’s dam was sired by Nureyev. He’s hung in stubbornly to hit the board at Belmont before. If he’s on an improvement cycle, he could take it.
6th Race: Storm Creek Rising – came in second in his last race at Aqueduct in November. Trainer Clement usually gets a good start after a layoff.
7th Race: Margarita Maggie is the granddaughter of Nureyev on her mother’s side. She couldn’t hold on for a longer distance last time out, but should be able to handle this one. Campionessa is a smart horse and it’s usually a mistake to toss a Kimmel horse out without serious scrutiny.
8th Race: If Saintliness scratches at Pimlico on Friday, count on her in this spot.
9th Race – Turf: In my opinion, this is the most interesting race at Belmont on Saturday. Landslide is the son of Seattle Slew and a lovely dam named Flanders, who was sired by Seeking the Gold. He’s trained by Todd Pletcher and ridden by Richard Migliore. Storm Soaring was sired by Storm Cat, with is dam Soaring Softly, one of my favorite mares. He’s improving and has a good shot.

Monmouth Park:
3rd Race:
Gonnabreakeven – this daughter of Menifee won her last time out and was second in the previous race, in spite of hanging wide on the turns. She seems to have some of her sire’s stubbornness.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home