Saturday, May 21, 2005

May 21 Preakness Ink

Today’s the big day. I hope Giacomo wins it. And I hope all the horses have good and safe rides.

Greeley’s Galaxy had a good work in the slop yesterday. He had fun. Giacomo insisted that tree buds were his snack of choice during his shed walk/graze. Both horses look terrific and seem to be in a good headspace for today’s race.

Yesterday’s Results:
8th Race:
Loch Nessie scratched. I wanted to take a look at John Servis’s horse Flowerbud, but not bet on her. She’s had some health problems and I’d like to wait another race or two before putting money on her. I like a horse named Partners Due, who came in second. The race was won by a lovely horse named Burnish, who won her previous race in the slop. Flowerbud came in fourth.

I think I need to start a Mudders List, for my own reference.

9th Race: Most of the horses scratched from this one, leaving four beauties: Ashado, Friel’s For Real, Pleasant Home, and Simaril. I stuck with Ashado. Friel’s For Real is a tiny, delicate little thing who I’ll watch for in the future. Pleasant Home has the most beautiful eyes I’ve ever seen on a horse. Simaril, the Maryland-bred longshot, looked calm and professional.

For a few minutes, I thought Ashado would do it. JV reeled her out carefully, and it looked like she’d go into a higher gear and win. However, Simaril and her jockey Ryan Fogelsonger, made a great move and caught her at the end. It was a terrific ride! Apologies to horse and rider for not taking a closer look at them. I won't make that mistake again! Ashado came in second. Next race, she'll win.

All four horses go on my Virtual Stable list. I want to see more of them.

Since Saintliness scratched from this race, she’ll probably run at Belmont tomorrow. Look for her (and bet on her) there.

10th Race: Spun Sugar remained my favorite, in spite of the face that this was her first stakes race. I also stuck with Pleasant Chimes, but tossed Runway Model, who looked disinterested to me. It turned out to be an exciting race. A few strides out of the gate, Merrill Gold’s rein broke. Her jockey, Edgar Prado, reached up and grabbed the side of her blinker hood, using that to guide her. Kudos to him for keeping his cool and not only hanging on, but making sure no one got hurt. There were a few seconds that could have been fatal, had Prado not responded so quickly. John Velazquez kept his cool, too, and steered Spun Sugar past it all, for a lovely win. She’s a beautiful, talented filly, and Todd Pletcher said it’s likely she’ll train up towards the Mother Goose at Belmont next. Pleasant Chimes came in a respectable third.

11th Race: I stuck with Funny Cide and Pollard’s Vision. Eurosilver and Offlee Wild both looked great, but I stuck with my choices. Presidential Affair set a fast pace – especially considering how icky the track surface was. Funny Cide sat off the pace and looked comfortable. He started moving up, and it looked like he’d nip the others. Pollard’s Vision, not enjoying his position – most of the horses were settled in on his blind side (the horse has vision in only one eye, like Seabiscuit’s jockey, for whom he was named), managed to hang in there, thanks to JV’s great handling.

However, it was Eddington who took flight and left them all in the mud, winning by several lengths. I’ve never been a fan of Eddington’s, but he certainly ran a great race today. Pollard’s Vision hung on for second, Presidential Affair third, and Funny Cide fourth.

On to today’s races. Good luck to them all.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home