Thursday, May 05, 2005

May 5 Derby Ink

Post Positions are drawn. Yippy Skippy. At least we know who’s in, until one of the horses gets sick or injured sometime within the next two days. I figure there will be 1 -3 scratches in the field between now and post time.

Greeley’s Galaxy is definitely in and he’s definitely on my list, although I haven’t sorted out yet where. I like the horse. The trainer’s 83 and the owner’s 73 – it’s not like they do this every year, so if they think they have a shot, they probably do. And, as I said, I like the horse.

Nick Zito’s bringing five horses to the gate, including the favorite, Bellamy Road. It’ll be interesting to see how he balances media demands with what he needs to do for his horses. I seriously doubt he’ll change his general routine, which is horses first, and everybody else can wait around or they can leave. But horses first. Which is as it should be.

Bandini is still my favorite. The fact that Todd Pletcher is the trainer and Johnny Velazquez the jockey are pluses.

I still like Noble Causeway and Sun King, although I still don’t know what to do with the latter.

Tomorrow is also a big race day at Churchill and here are some picks after the most cursory look at the card (no, I didn’t curse, I merely skimmed it instead of studying it):

First Race – Lady Ann Summers, ridden by Mike Smith

Third Race – Ready’s Gal ridden by John Velazquez in a boxed exacta with Psych, ridden by Gary Stevens.

Fourth Race – the longshot Come out Smokin’ ridden by Gary Stevens.

Fifth Race – Dynamite Lass ridden by John Velazquez.

Eighth Race – Louisville Breeder’s Cup -- Storm’s Darling ridden by Eddie Martin and maybe toss in Island Sand ridden by Mike Smith.

Tenth Race – Kentucky Oaks – (The Fillies’ version of The Derby) – no strong feelings about any of them. Might go with In the Gold ridden by Rafael Bejerano boxed with Sis City, ridden by Edgar Prado.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home