Sunday, May 08, 2005

May 8, 2005
New Moon
Jupiter Retrograde
Pluto Retrograde
Chiron Retrograde
Cloudy and cool


Happy Mother’s Day!

I’m so thrilled for Mike Smith and Giacomo on their Kentucky Derby win yesterday. What a great race!

I’m still convinced that something happened to Bandini – he’s too good a horse to fall apart without a good reason.

But Giacomo was the best horse that day at that time, and good for him!!! And Mike Smith is a terrific person who deserves the win. It’s all the sweeter for him because Giacomo is the son of Holy Bull. Holy Bull is one of Mike’s favorite horses – but had a bad day in the 1994 Kentucky Derby. And now his son wins it – with the same jockey. What a great way to receive a gift from the Universe!

Shout out to Eileen – a horse named Elijah’s Song ran yesterday and came in third in the third race. I’ve added him to my virtual stable and will let you know when he runs again!

The Derby party was great – very exciting! I love getting people hooked on horse racing!

For the full wrap-up, I’m afraid you’ll have to click on to the article I’ve written for FemmeFan, which will go up on Tuesday.

My guests were supposed to leave this morning, but the flight’s been delayed, so it will be mid-afternoon. I’m behind on deadlines and have to get back to work. Don’t mean to be rude, but . . .I’ve had two hours or less every day to get in all my writing. And today, I need the whole day.

Of course, I’m so exhausted at this point that I can barely sit upright, much less type, much less create.

On top of everything else this week, my mother’s friend turns to me last night and tells me that I have to find a rich husband to buy me a big house and take care of me. I feel like I’ve been kicked in the stomach. I am so insulted and so hurt. Building a career in the theatre for over twenty years – which less than 1% of those who dream about it get to do – having plays produced all over the world, writing articles, having four serials running, working on Broadway, traveling, doing charity work – none of this means anything because I did it myself and there’s no husband here 24/7? And I’ll buy my own damn house and pay for it myself, thank you very much. It’s not something I can even discuss with my SO, because even reciting the event in a monotone sounds like there’s an undercurrent of wanting change in the relationship. I don’t. I’m finally in a partnership where we respect and support each other’s goals and dreams, even if we can’t be together every day, and it’s not about one party “giving up” dreams and desires “for” the other.

It blindsided me.

In the scheme of the universe, nobody is going to care about that little episode in a hundred years, so, whatever. I’ll lick my wounds for awhile, get my perspective back (I’d have more perspective if I wasn’t so tired from taking them around and doing all the cooking and taking care of arrangements and staying on top of my deadlines and keeping up with the horse races and getting everything done in the city and . . .).

On the other hand, in a hundred years . . .people are still going to care about yesterday’s Derby win.

And that’s good.

Devon
www.devonellingtonwork.com
http://www.keepitcoming.net/widows-chamber.html
http://www.keepitcoming.net/tapetry.html
http://keepitcoming.net/angel-hunt.html
http://www.keepitcoming.net/cutthroat-charlotte.html
For a free issue of any of the above serials, click the appropriate link and download.

2 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Shout out to Eileen – a horse named Elijah’s Song ran yesterday and came in third in the third race. I’ve added him to my virtual stable and will let you know when he runs again!

Please do. How exciting!!! I'll send some Elijah love your way :)

 
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Billi-Jean said...

...my mother’s friend turns to me last night and tells me that...

I have finally found a way (that actually works for me) to cope with people/comments like this. I muster my very best "you poor pitiful dear" face, pat her hand and without saying a word, I think to myself, "It must be a sad a lonely little life living within the confines of such narrow and backward views."
If the person continues to press the point, I might say, "Oh, don't worry about me! Perhaps that is an issue in your tiny little world, but not in mine." Smiling sweetly the entire time, of course ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home