Thursday, July 14, 2005

July 14 Part IV

So much for the live interview. I couldn’t get in to the effing chat room. Now, over a week ago, I asked for specifics about logging on, what did I need to download, what settings, etc., etc., etc., and I was told that all I needed to do was click the link and sign in.

A blank page with “Chat” in green on the left.

I sat there trying to figure it out for nearly an hour. Logged on, logged off, with the IM on, with it off. My Java’s enabled.

Nothing.

Meanwhile, I’m emailing back and forth. The person who set it up said there’s no reason I should have a problem because everyone else managed to get in. Colin’s sending me actual suggestions, but none of them worked.

On top of that, the emails are flowing in from people trying and failing to get into the room. 27 of them at last count.

My apologies to everyone whose time was wasted this afternoon. I asked a week ago what I needed to have loaded AND I requested a test run, which was ignored. Then, when there’s a problem it’s shrugged off with “sorry, I didn’t know this would happen. You know the first time is always a test.”

Well, why the FUCK wasn’t my request honored to do the test before we wasted anyone’s time? So we could figure out and resolve any problems ahead of time?

I’ve been assured that a new chat room will be found. I hope they all have a good time with it, because I sure as hell won’t be in there.

Enough.

This entire month has been about everything thrown at us half-assed, without being tested, NONE of it working, our time being wasted, and it all being shrugged off.

Of course new ideas need to be tested. So test them, or ask for people to help test them. Just don’t waste everyone else’s time and act like it’s okay, because it’s not.

I lost a three hour chunk of writing time – crucial to my deadlines. Not only am I now way behind in a press release for a client, but I’ve hit the wall with Elusive Prayers. I had a major breakthrough about an hour before the chat – the whole rest of it fell into place in a beautiful and surprising way – and now I’ve lost the rhythm.

And what about what others lost? Precious writing time, at least. At the most, who knows? As we see every day, life is too damn short to lose hours at a time, especially when the loss can be avoided by organization. Plenty of things are out of our control. So why can’t we be responsible for what is?

No, this afternoon’s frustration certainly won’t change the scheme of the Universe. It’s a frustration on a personal level that will pass, and an indication of something I’ve been wrestling with for the past few months (during the Chiron retrograde—soul’s purpose – and the Uranus retrograde – one’s place in the world).

And thank GOODNESS it doesn’t change the scheme of the universe – that would not be a good thing – but it’s set off a ripple. Hopefully, the ripple will settle down and the surface will smooth out again – if not, well, we’ll deal with that when we come to it.

It’s a frustration that will pass. I should do some yoga. I want to open a bottle of wine and drink the whole damned thing.

But I’ve just come across some lovely Montauk photos from last fall. I’ll download them and then post them – they make me feel better just looking at them.

Thank you to everyone who is so understanding and doesn’t feel like they lost their afternoons or evenings – or who, in spite of the loss, understand. I do appreciate each and every one of you.

D.

4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

I'm glad it wasn't just me.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I'm so sorry it didn't work. I never got in, either (but you knew that). I hope it gets fixed before I'm up next week.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Dinnae fret, lass. There might be a reason why technology played the hand it did...or something :-)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I'm with Colin. Everything happens for a reason.

Better luck next time! (Hopefully you'll "consider" a next time--your eager fans will be waiting!)
:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home