Friday, July 15, 2005

July 15 Part II

It was nice to wander Manhattan at my own pace, in spite of the heat. I met some of the new K-9 squad at Grand Central – I adore those dogs. I think every K-9 in Manhattan knows my scent now – not a bad thing, in case anything goes wrong!

Ran my errands – well, actually, walked my errands. The pace in the city was slower than usual today – whether due to the humidity or the upcoming weekend, who knows? But people were in a good, kind mood today, and it was nice.

Picked up both The Historian and The Sign of the Four as my reading for the trip to Maine next week. Of course, I already started The Historian. I love the controlled pace at which it unfolds and the formal cadence. The reviews that I’ve read have not done it justice. It is not and never pretended to be another Da Vinci Code (and I’m not all that delighted with that book, anyway). This book is very much an entity unto itself, and it’s only cheap, lazy marketing that compares it to another book. It’s also been compared to Possession, one of my favorite books of all time – but it’s not like that one, either. It is uniquely its own.

Both the clerks in the bookstores and the patrons are excited about tonight’s release of the new Harry Potter. How thrilling that people are so delighted in anticipation of a book! That’s the way it SHOULD be. Forget lame-ass-marketed blockbuster. Give me a good STORY any time.

A new character is speaking to me. But, unlike most project, where I just jump in, I need to sit back and simply listen for awhile. She doesn’t like to divulge a lot of information at any one time.

Time to get back to the serials and to Elusive Prayers.

D.

2 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Some characters are funny that way, aren't they? :)

I wasn't too impressed with DaVinci Code either.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

"The Historian" was on my to-buy list, but received it as a birthday gift. I'm so looking forward to reading it. "The Da Vinci Code" was a book I'd no intention of ever reading--but had to as part of a writing job I had at the time--I didn't even finish it and gave it away. d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home