Monday, July 18, 2005

July 18 Part IV

Anteann (Bloggin), linked to the right has a great set of posts where she discusses her muse and working with her muse.

Her post got me to thinking about my muses and how I deal with them.

I have a passel of creative entities urging me on, and I need every darned one of them.

Muses:
I have a pair of them. There’s too much work for one to handle. One’s male and one’s female. They are the Nick and Nora Charles of Muses. I don’t know their names – I’m sure someday they’ll reveal them to me. Or not. But they’re very good at walking around with martinis, carrying amused and sardonic expressions on their faces and coming up with sarcastic comments when I procrastinate.

However, when I’m ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work, they’re right there. It’s nice to have them to bounce off ideas, or to help me find the right research so I’ve got the details of it right when I’m writing about something I don’t know anything about. They help sustain me when I get tired.

They also tell me when it’s time to shut off the computer.

Both of them think computers are silly – back to quill pen and parchment, darling! -- so they’re not particularly sympathetic when I have computer problems.

They’re good about sticking around because they’ve been muses for a good long time. They’ve had their ups and downs with their assigned humans, and they really, REALLY hate self-indulgent legends in their own minds.

I’m grateful that they’re on my team.

Angels
I have a couple of angels in the squad, too. These are separate from my Guardian Angel – and could I tell stories about that one!

I have two angels that work with me – The Business Angel and the Creativity Angel. When they’re in balance, all is good. When one tries to dominate the other, I run into problems.

The Business Angel’s eye is always on the bottom line. I haven’t listened to this one enough lately, and it’s taken a toll.

The Creativity Angel is for the urge of the moment. Who care what the monetary value is as long as you’re caught up in the passion of the project?

Passion doesn’t always pay the rent, unfortunately.

Keeping them in balance is the challenge.

And my Muses simply roll their eyes and tell me to get on with it.

Right now, I’m going to cook fettuccine with broccoli and ham in an Alfredo sauce, served with a nice, crisp pinot grigio. The Muses and Angels are welcome to join me.

D.

7 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Tenille said...

It's interesting you should post this as I've been tussling with my muse for the last few days and was preparing to post about it later. I'll be sure to link to both you and Ann. I love this post!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Thanks! And I loved this post - I can just picture your muses with the martinis and the sardonic smiles. That was so funny. And I loved the part about the business angel and the creative angel - that is so true!

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

hehehe I was going to do a "Muse" post as well. But - oddly - she's checked out on me. Quite possibly in some tropical place with one of those umbrella drinks. Hm. Maybe I should send my muse over to hang with yours. She could learn a thing or two. LOL

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Susan Abraham said...

Hello Devon,
I've popped over from Tenille's. I'm a Malaysian writer & traveller and writing my first book. Currently, I spend a lot of time in London but also lived in Australia for five years. I'm back in Malaysia for a couple of weeks to renew my passport before I'm off somewhere else. I used to read you a long while ago and remembered about your work with the theatre (I think) and how once you had an accident and it hurt you. The comment box wasn't opened at the time but I'm glad it is now and I have a chance to tell you how sorry I was when that happened to you. Now you've got me thinking very seriously about my muses. What a creative post!
best wishes

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Really liked this post.

A muse as a person? Of course!!! I never thought of it like that. Talk about turning a thought on it's head. Like standing in an upside down room and not realising why the doors are above you.

I need to write about this now before my day can continue.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Colin said...

Oh, and "fettuccine with broccoli and ham in an Alfredo sauce" sounds great. Puts me in a pasta mood!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Fun post! Muses can come in pairs?! Oh man wait'll I tell my Muse (that recalcitrant Lethe-addicted fairy) she might get a roomie! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home