Monday, August 29, 2005

Monday, August 29, 2005
Waning Moon
Pluto Retrograde
Chiron Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Hot and humid

I’m watching the heartbreaking news out of New Orleans, regarding Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans is one of the Cities of My Heart, and I’m terribly anxious about the entire city and its populace. At the time of this writing, 10,000 people took refuge in the Superdome – and the roof has started to peel back.

It’s been a stressful couple of days.

There was an emergency at Rent – a dresser got sick during the show – so I went in and did the evening show on Saturday. It was fun, as always. It’s such a lovely group of people with which to work.

Sunday, my mother had to seek medical care for an infection. I thought she was going across the street; when she hadn’t returned, two hours later, I walked over, only to find out she’d never signed in; and then came back to find the car gone. I just about had a fit. I called every emergency room in the area, and finally found the facility to which she’d gone; and then called back everyone I’d talked to in order to thank them for their help and let them know I’d located her (because they all put a post-it on the computer in case her name came up as checking in and offered to call me). Thank you very much to all these facilities.

In the process of getting the tetanus shot and the antibiotics and everything, it was discovered that her blood pressure’s risen very high since her last check-up two weeks ago. So we’re going to have to deal with that. She’s got an appointment with the doctor tomorrow, and I’m trying to keep her as quiet as possible until then.

On top of all of that, the car is making odd noises – beginning when I had to pick up someone from the airport early early on Sunday morning. I took the car in to the mechanic this morning. I’m hoping it’s only the muffler. If it’s the transmission, I’m screwed.

I managed to get to my union’s party for an hour or so last night, which was fun. I got to see people I hadn’t seen in a long time and catch up.

I need to write today, but am quite distracted. Hopefully, I can settle myself down and focus. I also received a manuscript from a friend to read – I can hardly wait!

A migraine threatens, but I’m trying to keep it at bay, because I just don’t have the time to be indisposed today.

I already missed the FemmeFan deadline, and will have to combine the Travers with a wrap-up of the meet. We can only do as much as we can do.

I’m worried about New Orleans. A big concern is that the coffins and the alligators will fill the streets. At least, in Louisiana, they are making sure that people can bring their pets with them – unlike Florida, which refused to let people with pets into shelters.

Devon
www.devonellingtonwork.com

1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and I'm grateful that you found her!

Being an animal lover, I was so grateful to hear that pets were being allowed in shelters in Louisiana.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home