Friday, September 23, 2005

Friday, September 23, 2005
Waning Moon
Chiron Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Hot and humid

I have a shot at working on a movie. Not as a writer, but in wardrobe. A friend called yesterday and asked if I wanted to/was available to come in and do some days working background. So, I shot over my resume, and we’ll see. If I’m the right person for the job, I’ll work about eight days scattered throughout October; if I’m not – oh, well.

It would be a fresh challenge, and I’m ready for that. I haven’t been on a film set in quite a few years.

I also had to re-do my wardrobe resume. I haven’t updated it in over a year – and it certainly needed updating. People have simply been calling me in to work, and, since I’m transitioning out of the business anyway, I hadn’t bothered to keep it up to date.

Not a smart move. Learn from me – keep your CV and resume updated! Every time you get a new credit, put in the changes and hit “save”!

As I walked from the train station to the theatre yesterday, I figured out a good sequence for Never Too Late (really need to change the title). It will be a good action sequence, but it will also reveal some important information about the main characters – and bring them face to face with one of the antagonists. Hey, the way one responds under stress says a lot, okay? Not only that, I realized that this book is the perfect one to dedicate to the friend who died in a motorcycle accident a few weeks ago. He feels very present to me these last weeks.

Day work was fine. Cast moves happening all over the place, with people shifting amongst the three companies.

My friend Gayle’s work is featured in the new issue of More magazine. She’s a top-notch custom knitter. I can’t wait to pick up the magazine on my way home tonight.

Worked on the damn curry article some more. I’ve hit the correct, appropriately light-hearted tone. Now I have tore arrange the information so it’s both interesting and informative. And it has to be polished and out in the next hour.

I got distracted by one research site – Project Gutenberg. I could have downloaded one of the manuscripts from 1390 to which I refer in the article – and then I would still be up, reading it. I may just have to do it in the future.

Visit the site – it’s definitely worth it.

I have to finish the press release for Circadian Poems and get that out this weekend – a week from Monday is the big launch!

I may cough up some issues of serials this weekend, just to cover myself if things do start up again on Sept. 25. I’m not going to have time to write them in Oct. or Nov. So I better push through this week and see how much I can get done. I figured I can wrap up Angel Hunt in the next month and change. Then it will just be Widow’s Chamber, which needs about forty more episodes, and Charlotte, which is contracted until January.

Of course, I’ve been trying to renegotiate the three contracts that are up on October 2 for six weeks and being ignored, so, other than Charlotte, it all could be moot as of October 2. No contract, no episodes.

I’m reading Terry Pratchett’s Going Postal. It’s BRILLIANT. He writes the smartest, funniest books ever. He is THE most brilliant social satirist of our time.

Speaking of social issues, the government on every level failed the people of Houston. Big surprise – not. Those poor people were stuck in traffic for twelve to thirteen hours, no bathrooms, running out of gas. Now, the po-faced GOP supporters will say, “well, what are we supposed to do? There was a lot of traffic!”

Having driven in Houston, on a good day, the traffic is crap.

That is why you have the National Guard and FEMA – to keep the traffic moving. There is no reason for it to stop for 12 hours. There was no reason to allow people to run out of gas WHEN THEY ARE DOING AS THEY WERE INSTRUCTED BY THEIR GOVERNMENT and trying to get out.

If you are going to GIVE an order to a million people, you DAMN WELL BETTER be able to handle it. And you do it by emptying the region on a grid system, section by section, KEEPING THE TRAFFIC MOVING, to make sure that the highways don’t turn into parking lots. Jeez, even I know how to run the logistics of this – you’d think the people who are PAID could be bothered.

So now, the people who had to abandon their cars on the roads because there’s no gas – and, god forbid that the agencies who promised to bring in tanker trucks to actually refill cars on the road did so – will lose them in the storm. In addition to the fact that there was no way to get back home. How much do you want to bet the insurance companies will refuse to pay?

The poor, as usual, were left to die. People who were not allowed out of work arrived at check cashing facilities Thursday afternoon to find the facilities had evacuated. So they have no money and no way out.

Your tax dollars at work, boys and girls.

And yes, those of you who say, “Do you think you could do a better job?” – I have this to say to you – PUT ME IN CHARGE. Several dozen heads will roll (and placed on the iron spikes on the gate surrounding the building as a reminder), but yes, I could not only figure out the logistics to move a million people to safety, I could put it into practice. That’s not ego – that’s called capability. And it’s called giving a damn about my fellow humans, something that is sorely lacking in this government on every level.

Oh, the politicians talk a good game about “humanity” in the general, theoretical sense. But when it comes down to handling the nuts and bolts to make people’s lives livable or to actually keep them alive, they can’t be bothered as long as they have their fancy cars and big houses and expense accounts.

I just shake my head and rework my own plan to keep my family safe.

Back to curry (sorry, Colin).

Devon

4 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Colin said...

Hmmm....balti...bhoona...vindaloo...dhansak...masala...sometimes there are such difficult decisions to make in life. I can almost *taste* it!! :-)

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

A fresh challenge sounds lovely. Good luck with the opportunity. :)

I concur, it is ever so important to keep your resume and CV current, so it's ready when you need it to be ready. I've learned that over the years.

You must have been very close to your friend. What a gift that you can weave memories of him into your work.

People are truly tested during times of stress. The question turns to fight or flight in some cases. Not to sound horribly cliche, or like a line from one of Elijah's newest films, but we have the choice to stand and deliver when we're called upon to do so.

It's utterly unbelivable that check cashing facilities closed. People with no car and no bank account will now be left with no resources.

Government employees have demonstrated their inability to do their jobs ad nauseum. Simply making the observation that a lot of people were evacuating is no excuse for the chaos that is the Texas freeway system. I've driven in Houston on a *good* day, and it's challenging even then! To this moment, I have no understanding as to why the full freeway wasn't opened when people started to evacuate.

I wish you were in charge, and I'd love to see some heads roll. I really would.

I've started to talk with my family about emergency preparedness. We live in the high desert, but we're surrounded by nuclear warheads here in Albuquerque. We have to be prepared. I feel very strongly about that.

Thank you for the recommendation on Terry Prachett!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Ann said...

How exciting! Good luck on this - and let us know which movie!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger fin said...

very cool! you can get all the behind-the-scenes gossip on the set!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home