Friday, September 30, 2005

Friday, September 30, 2005
Waning Moon
Chiron Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and chilly

Thanks so much for all the good wishes. My mother had a good day yesterday and is having a tougher day today. But at least I can be with her full-time all weekend.

Running three households – hers, mine, and the one where she’s dog-sitting – is a challenge. I’m a little tired, but coping. Needless to say, the cats are P.O’d that I’m not around much. And the dog is delighted whenever I throw the ball for him. Difference between cats and dogs, right there. I put up with ever so much from cats that I would never tolerate in a human.

Did my day work yesterday. Everyone was happy to see me and wanted to know how they could help, etc., which was very nice. But I felt completely disconnected from the work, which is not a good feeling. I enjoy the people, but I feel as though the work is from a different life. It’s an odd sort of disconnect. I’m sure worry and exhaustion have a lot to do with it.

I did some work on Never Too Late. And I’m hunting for a new title. I re-sent some of the calendar pieces that didn’t go through. I’m hoping that I can sit and write a good deal over the weekend on both NTL and Imaginative Powers. Circadian Poems is on schedule for Monday, tomorrow I can sign up for NaNoWriMo, and I got the movie. I’ll be doing it sporadically throughout October, and, once I’m able to say more about it, I will. Actually, it’s a TV pilot, not a movie, but I’ll fill in the details once I get them. The dates seem to be morphing from day to day, so there’s no telling which dates I’ll be shooting once we start in the second week of October. I think it will be both a good experience AND good money.

I’m working up proposals for my subscribers from the serials, since we are in a state of suspended animation (as opposed to suspended disbelief) with them. As soon as I have more information, I will post an address where subscribers can contact me to find out the status of each serial and how their subscription can be fulfilled. I suspect that some of the paid subscriptions have not been fulfilled, and I want to make sure that happens, and then take it from there.

My author copies of the 2006 Almanac and Calendar arrived. They’re so lovely! I’m Miss November in 2006 – and I’ll be Miss February in 2007. Eventually, I’ll have done each month (I was Miss September this year).

One of the cats just tried to jump up and then realized another cat was sitting in the spot, so she tried to re-navigate in mid-leap. It didn’t quite work. And now she’s both mad AND embarrassed.


Back to attempted competence in the running of households. For a brief, shining moment, I thought the other day that it’s situations like this where marriage can come in handy. Then, I realized that, in a family crisis, 98% of my married friends end up having to carry the partner through it as well as handling everything else, instead of the partner sharing it. So I think I’m doing better with the support system I have set up. My S.O. feels horribly guilty that he can’t drop work and come back, but that’s the way it goes. And we’re coping. I’m lucky. I have built a great group of friends over the years and we do things for each other. I managed to get out of most of the one-way friendships after my own serious illness in my twenties. Good move.

Devon

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Sue said...

I'm glad your Mom is doing ok. Been holding you both in my thoughts often over the last couple days.

I understand what you say. Being single is difficult when crises hit. Often, no one to bounce things off of and decompress. But at the same time, friends can be a fantastic source - if you have the right ones.

Take care and hope all continues to improve over the next few days.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Colin said...

Really glad to hear your Mum is on the road to recovery and I hope the pressure lifts soon.

Excellent news about the pilot!

Stay cool.

Colin

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Good to know your Mom is doing alright. I nodded in sympathy re: singleness, and I've observed the same sort of thing among married and co-habiting couples--one person carries the load. Friends who care are a treasure. d:

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm so happy to hear that your mother had a good day, and that you can be with her this weekend. You're a wonderful daughter!

To have friends who truly are there for you during the ups and downs of your life are a blessing indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home