Friday, September 09, 2005

Friday, September 9, 2005
Waxing Moon
Chiron Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant


Everything hurts. More costumes are coming into the show, bigger and heavier than ever. I’m one of the stronger people on the show and I’m having trouble lifting them. A new ball gown has come in that is not conducive to quick changes – it needs adjustments, plus it has fastenings on the side waist, front waist, two sets of snaps across the back and a bodice with both zipper and hooks and eyes. This is something that has to be gotten into in about a single minute, is only on the girl for 35 seconds, and I have to get her out of it again quickly in order to go and wing monkeys. We’ve discussed the changes that need to be made in order to make it possible for the change to be made in the necessary time – and I made sure that the regular dresser was in on the conversation, too, because she’s the one who has to deal with it on a daily basis. Hopefully, this work-in-progress will be complete soon.

It LOOKS amazing. Now we just have to figure out a way to get her in and out of it quickly.

And if I have a problem with it, any other swing that gets in there will crash and burn. Sounds egotistical, but it’s true. And I can’t always be in that slot when I come in – sometimes I’m in a different track, and, heck, sometimes I’m on a different damned show! :)

So that meant I had to pay attention last night, when I hoped to wander in and do the show on muscle memory. Three Artifacts roared in the background the whole time, and I counted on my friend Artie to keep me from mentally floating up to the rafters during the course of the show (he did a great job – I haven’t laughed that much backstage in a LONG time). I only wanted to muffle the roar, not shut it off – I can’t afford to lose this play. There’s too much there. Four characters, one set – simple. The theme is about the mutation of evil – something we are certainly dealing with right now on an enormous scale – but the plot is a puzzle plot. And that’s all I can say about it right now.

I made a deal with the Playwriting Muse – who reminds me of the Harpies or Furies of Greek Literature, as opposed to my other muses – one scene at a time. I can’t write a full-length play in a single gasp – that gasp’ll be my last. The first draft of the first scene was finished just as the phone rang yesterday calling me in to the show. I have an article to finish about the moon today, and then I can write the second scene – providing the Muse isn’t punishing me. The play is with me constantly – it’s simply the physical writing of it that I’m trying to time. A part of the creative brain is working on it even as I’m writing the words of the blog.

One of the great things I discovered was that all my work on the serials has helped me to plot. Plot was always my weakest aspect, with character and dialogue the strongest. Now, thanks to having to learn how to carry multiple plots and interweave them, I’ve strengthened that part of my craft. And re-reading all those Agatha Christie books helps, too – puzzle plots are her strength. Not that the play is Christie-esque at all. But I’ve learned from her technique. Now I’m applying it.

I managed a few pages (on the train) of Imaginative Powers yesterday, too.

Off to get my hair cut – I can’t stand it anymore, I look like a sheepdog. Then, back to the article and back to . . .the play.

One of my colleagues at work has the address of the place where an actual family in Southeastern Louisiana is staying. Five kids, under the age of six. Lost everything. But the post office can make deliveries to their temporary residence, so we’re all packing up boxes and sending them on down. It helps to have actual individuals to which to say something.

Thanks to Chris from New Orleans for the comments a few days ago. I love New Orleans deeply – it is one of the cities of my heart, an emotional and spiritual home for me. I am glad that you feel I speak for you. There is so little I can do right now, if I can do something with my pen, use my pen as my sword, that is what I will do.

The individual good that individuals have done needs to be celebrated. The government failed this country on a massive scale – and it’s time the ignorant and complacent wake up and start taking action to help the rest of us make the necessary changes. But the individual acts of good and beauty must also be recognized and honored.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 10:15 AM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

I'm glad you're laughing again if only for a moment.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Debra Young said...

The play sounds brilliant! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home