Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday, September 19, 2005
Waning Moon
Chiron Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant

Nearly twelve pages done on Never Too Late yesterday – a more complicated chapter, but it’s falling in to place. And, even though I have an outline for this, I’m getting some interesting surprises on the way.

Reality is so revolting lately that, in writing fantasy, I can reshape worlds into what I think they should be, and comment on what doesn’t work in our world or the fictional world in a way that’s not simply standing on a box and yelling.

Never Too Late, like several other pieces I’m working on, deals with the fact that when people stand by and allow evil to flourish by doing nothing – whether it’s allowing a bully to beat up a kid on the playground or not bothering to vote – it is just as bad or worse as active evil. And then people are suddenly very surprised when their lives are destroyed – when their own apathy and ostrich-like mentality is a major cause of it. That’s certainly what’s happened in this country since the 2000 election, and look at the result.

I saw lengthy previews for both Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Of course, I’ll go see the former. I will probably see the latter because Tilda Swinton is in it, and I’m a fan of her work (especially Orlando, which is one of the most fascinating movies I’ve ever seen). I am NOT a big fan of the Narnia books—the first one’s clever, but the others never did it for me. Plus, even reading them as a child, I was turned off by its stench of religious right propaganda.

Worked on three short pieces for the 25 page-a-day calendar pieces due at the end of the month, and finished one of the manuscript critiques. Now I have to go through all my pages of notes and make sense of them, then put them into coherent format for my client.

I need to do some work on both Thirteen Traveling Journals and Circadian Poems today, and do some more research for the curry article. But I want to get back to Never Too Late as soon as possible.

Devon
www.devonellingtonwork.com
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
The Place and Space Journal Project
Circadian Poems

1 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

Your energy is amazing however I do worry about you. Please take care of yourself.

Remember there are no reasons for the bad things that happen, no matter what the Bible beaters say about sin. Look out for yourself first and then do what you can for the rest of humanity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home