Monday, October 03, 2005

Oct. 3 Part III

Stuff I forgot to mention:

Some of which I can’t remember now . . .

Tom DeLay’s Indictment – glad they’re asking questions. That’s what an indictment is. It’s not a guilty verdict. It means the Grand Jury was shown enough evidence from the prosecutor so that the Grand Jury feels more questions need to be asked and there is enough to go to trial. More questions will be asked, and more investigating will be done. Which is as it should be. He is innocent until proven guilty. As much as I say that through gritted teeth, the assumption has to be made in all cases, not just ones with which I agree. And the Grand Jury wasn’t convinced of innocence and does not assume guilt, but wants more investigation. If you ever get the chance to serve on a Grand Jury, jump on it. It’s fascinating. When I did it, it was one of the most fascinating months of my life.

That Bennett guy’s comments – Huh? It’s so beyond sanity, it’s so offensive, you just have to go “huh? This guy is from Planet Ignoramus?” Unfortunately when someone that insane, that intolerant and that ignorant is in a position to influence others, there’s a problem.

John Roberts as Chief Justice – on the fence about him. He’s very smart and a very good writer. He’s savvy at avoiding answering questions. If he truly uses his intellect and common sense in his decisions, I think there’s hope. If all of this was a carefully coached smokescreen so he’d get past in order to promote an extreme right agenda, we’re in trouble. He seems like he’s got common sense and is reasonably sane. But, unfortunately, we won’t have the proof one way or another until it’s too late.

Harriet Miers to replace Sandra Day O’Connor. Frankly, I think this is a red herring. It’s a nepotism nomination along the lines of Mike Brown at FEMA – where are the credentials to do the job? Bush’s personal lawyering doesn’t count. I think there’s a chance she was nominated with the knowledge she’d be rejected so they can stuff Gonzalez in there. And then we’re in for big problems – any court with Scalia, Thomas and Gonzalez on it would doom this country.

The cats are seriously relieved I’m home. My mom is settled now and she’ll be okay for a few days on her own. I’ve taught her how to answer her cell phone and how to charge it. And I’m hoping that my new phone doesn’t bite the dust by tomorrow.

Time to unpack and relax. I just wish I wasn’t so damn tired.

I woke up at four a.m. When I went back to sleep, I dreamed I was lost in Boston and couldn’t make sense of the map.

Even in my dreams I’m directionally challenged!

Devon

2 Comments:

At 10:11 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Glad your mom's better!
I know the directionally challenged feeling - and I always get people who tell me to "turn northwest at the stoplight" and that kind of thing. Aaaargh.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing better. :)

I'm directionally challenged, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home