Thursday, October 06, 2005

Thursday, October 06, 2005
Waxing Moon
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Cloudy and mild

Early entry today. I have to leave just after 7 AM to go and pick up my mom so she can go to the dentist. Time to get those teeth she broke in the accident fixed. Then, I have to get her back and head for the city, where I’ll be until late tonight.

Thursdays are Poetry News days over at Circadian, so some new info is up there.

Didn’t get much writing done. I wrote a lot – but it was business-related stuff – finished a press release, did admin work, etc., etc., etc.

Re-read Elizabeth Berg’s Escaping into the Open, which is a great book full of both inspiration and practicality for a writing life. Plus, she includes some amazing recipes.

Found some other local writers in NaNoWriMo Regional Lounge. I hope they don’t all have 9-5 jobs and I’ll actually get to meet some of them in November. I’m really sick of every group activity always geared to people who work from 9-5, especially if you’re not in the city. That’s not a criticism of NaNoWriMo at all – it’s a more general statement. So often, over the years, I’ve wanted to participate in things, but they only have meetings in the evenings or on weekends, and the people in charge are lousy communicators – basically, if you’re not in their face all the time, you don’t get any information. The flip side of the coin is that, obviously, they were the wrong groups for me.

So, Lost last night: much better written than the first two episodes. Glad they didn’t take the easy way out with Desmond and I’m thrilled he’s finally free. The compassion he showed Jack in their scene together was beautiful and reminded me how strongly his work affected me when I saw it on stage. I have to say that I am getting sick of the show’s convention of one character chasing another character through the jungle in order to have a two person scene with a Major Revelation. I think they’re doing Sawyer a dis-service. Although he took over as the natural leader of Sawyer/Michael/Jin, he showed a lot of growth last season and it’s not yet being applied. And this other group – you know, someone DID Lord of the Flies and none of the imitators have been able to hit that bar. Supposedly, Michelle Rodriguez’s character, who met Jack in the airport bar, will be a potential love interest. I bet the creators are going to take the easy way out with antagonism between Kate and this character because they want girl-on-girl gratuitous violence and I’m really sick of it. In other words, I still don’t trust the creators. I trust the actors to take us on a fascinating journey in the moment, but I don’t trust the creators in the overall construct of the show. It’s something that won’t bother most regular viewers, but it bothers me. And I still don’t like the character of Jack (although I like Matthew Fox’s work here). Kate, honey, get a clue. You’re much better off with Sawyer and I’d like even better to see you hook up with Desmond. Desmond’s got intelligence, resourcefulness, humour and compassion to spare. Let’s hope Henry Ian Cusick is in more episodes this season.

What do I think of the guy in the lab coat and the movie? I’m with Jack on this. I think it’s a psychological experiment to see how badly they can mess with people’s heads, using the natural electromagnetic field on that part of the island and bumping it up to make their little plot work. Calling it “The Dharma Project” is a tip off that it’s NOT about spirit or about working WITH the energies of the earth, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Locke’s father was the money behind the throne.

It reminds me of the Agatha Christie book Destination Unknown. If you haven’t read it (or re-read it) lately, do so. There are constructs that are turning up on Lost.

Of course, I was the one who, when I did one of those experiments where they lie to you and tell you you’re doing one thing to do another reacted, um, unexpectedly. It was one of those where they hire college students for $$ to come in and they say you’ll fill out a few tests. Then they put you in a room and tell you they’ll give you questions and if you give a wrong answer the person in the next room is given a shock. Every wrong answer and the shock is increased. They want to see what someone does when browbeaten into cruelty. Of course, what they’ve really done is hire an actor who screams, but the person taking the test doesn’t know that. Well, I said no, refusing to answer even the first question. I said it was barbaric and I wouldn’t do it. So they try to pressure you. I continued to say no. They said they’d start shocking the person anyway. I got sullen. They let down their guard (which is why I pulled the sullen crap). I knocked them down with the chair, unplugged and smashed every wire and piece of equipment I could in the room, went into the next room, did the same, got the other person out and started going from room to room. I took a gun off a supposed security guard and one of the “scientists” with a bloody nose told me it wasn’t a real gun or loaded (I checked and he was right), so I turned it the other way and said, “I can still beat the hell out of you with it.” They told me it was all a psychology test to see how people respond to pressure to do something even if they know it causes pain to someone else. They were, um, a little surprised at my reaction. I didn’t believe them. I made them go outside, found a payphone and called 911. Yes, it all was a “test”. When they started making noise about the release I’d signed, I told them to go and read the bottom –I’d crossed out the stuff I didn’t like and I’d added a sentence saying, “I will not perform any act I find morally, ethically or humanitarianly reprehensible.” And they hadn’t caught the changes in the paperwork – just signed off. Basically, they’d agreed to my rewrite of the contract, and I’d done what I said I would do.

Needless to say, I never did any of those tests again. And they got rather more data than they bargained for.

So perhaps the hatch in Lost pushed some old buttons.

At any rate, in next week’s preview, all I could think of was, “bringing all the people in will ruin the hatch – and Desmond’s worked so hard to keep it nice!” Loved the touch that the film was hidden behind The Turn of the Screw. If you haven’t read it, not only the title is relevant here.

Anyway, enough about Lost and my distrust of men in white lab coats.

Time to get in the car.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I love your thoughts on LOST. I agree - I think it's a hoax!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Wow, you don't "take crap from NOBODY."

And how!

ps I need to stop reading your posts on lost--SPOILERS!!!

:-)

ps my word verification is "INKOD" did you have something to do with that?
;-)

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Billi-Jean said...

lol. Good for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home