Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Tuesday, October 4, 2005
Waxing Moon
Chiron Retrograde
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant


RIP August Wilson. Not only was he a brilliant playwright, he was an extraordinary man. He will be missed as a man and as a writer.

Check out Colin Galbraith’s article on the poetry of Robert Louis Stevenson over on Circadian Poems. It’s a great article.

Of course, Blogger couldn’t possibly work properly this morning, since my time is limited, and God forbid Blogger ever work properly two days in a row. Any cramped paragraphs are the fault of Blogger, who is not respecting the formatting or allowing me to edit. I had to put in five hard returns in order to get the bio line on a separate paragraph. My apologies to Colin - -I went back in and edited the post four times to preserve the correct and beautiful formatting, and it simply won’t respect it.

Did some work on CP submissions last night. Wrote a couple of acceptance notes and some more rejections. I feel badly about the rejections and I try to make them as encouraging and helpful as I can. There’s no reason to be mean simply because something doesn’t quite work for me.

At any rate, November is almost complete. I need to get back on the stick with the press for this. My mom’s accident put me back, publicity-wise, about a week.

Did some catch-up work on another project I’ve been invited to join – I’ll be able to reveal more by October 10. Safe to say there is Columnar Resurrection involved. Chew on that for the coming week!

Worked on the query letter for the round table interview. It’s almost where I want it. Another pass or two, and I’m there.

Worked a bit on proposal for Non-Fiction Project A. I’m wondering how specific I should be in terms of budget. I’m worried that I’m lowballing, and I want the invited authors to get a fair price.

Client meeting yesterday afternoon went well. After the initial shock of the detail of my critique, I think he was able to step back and actually get something helpful from it. I hope so, at any rate. He’s a talented writer, and I think he has a future.

Caught up on emails. Got some more information about my first two days on the TV pilot next week– 85 extras each day (and I’m in charge of their clothing and the continuity of their clothing) – most of them kids! Should be, um, interesting.

So I’ll be offline sporadically this entire month.

I had an epiphany while playing with one of the cats. That sounds like the set up for a bad limerick, but it’s true. Cats are good for that sort of thing. They already knew what you were trying to figure out and wondered how much longer it would take you to get there. I realized that a piece I’ve been peddling as a children’s piece isn’t one at all! It’s actually a gift book – which is a whole different market and approach and everything else. It also explains why the people who read and liked the manuscript were a tad puzzled as to why they were reading it – since it doesn’t really fit their lists! I thought it was a children’s book – but it’s not. It has too many sly references, and, even though it has a deliberate sing-song cadence that works for young readers, there are things that really need to reach an entirely different audience. Duh! I get it now. Next step is to find time to do some market research and start submitting it to the RIGHT houses. Oh, yeah, and go back to an earlier version – I did a rewrite to gear it towards a younger audience and wondered why the rhythm started to feel wrong. Live and learn, right?

Wanted to work on both Never Too Late and Imaginative Powers, but I’m too darned tired. Maybe I can get some work done on the train today. And I have to break the news to the show that I’m doing the pilot, and they’ll have to replace me for a few days. Well, I can’t give up film money. It’s that simple.

Even though I know my mom is fine and settled on her own, I’m worried. She better not think she can get away with not using the sling to sleep, just because I’m not there to nag her! She needs it on for another week, at least!

Very pleased with the 2006 Almanac and Calendar. I think the pieces came out very well. It’s always exciting to hold the published work in one’s hands. It’s even better to hold the check in one’s hands.

It was odd not to have to get up before dawn to walk the dogs. I liked the extra sleep, but I also enjoyed the early morning walks.

Dog: You tell him “no” and he sighs and does what you say.
Cat: You tell her “no”. She looks at you with “yeah, right” and does exactly as she pleases.

Devon

5 Comments:

At 10:35 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Ha! Cats are definitely funny that way.

Sounds like (as usual) you are getting a lot accomplished. And WOW on the 85 (most of 'em kids) thing...I suggest bourbon. Lots of it. :-)

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger A.M.Adams said...

Congrats on the launch of Circadian Poems and on making it back home somewhat intact. I'm still trying to figure out how you manage to do all you do...do you sleep really fast or what? I'm looking forward to more yummy poetry treats on C.P. !

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Colin said...

So glad to hear your Mother is doing well - very good news and a big relief.

Congrats again on Circadian - and thanks for the credit :-)

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the work on the pilot - it sounds fascinating!

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Great comment about cats. I was at a friend's house, and his toddler son kept telling their cat, "Winter, sit!" The utterly scornful look the cat gave teh child was priceless!

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger crissachappell said...

people who love cats = sign of intelligence

 

Post a Comment

<< Home