Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Waxing Moon
Chiron Direct (phew)!
Neptune Retrograde
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Cloudy and humid

On the train, I wrote a long list of stuff I needed to get done and by the time I got home I was too tired to do any of it. I did work on three press releases that need to go out this week, and fulfilled a commitment to a new project I was invited to join that I will speak about on Monday.

Circadian Poems is getting a lovely response, and I’m glad. I adore poetry (though it’s not a genre I feel comfortable writing), and if I can help create a site for poets and readers to enjoy and bathe in the beauty of the words and images, I’m happy.

I have a stack of newsletters to get out this week – better get to it.

I’m still having trouble getting a piece to one of my editors – I may end up faxing it. It’s taking longer to send the piece than it took to write it!

I seem to be all signed up for NaNoWriMo. One of their team figured out the problem and fixed it – thanks, Chris, I do appreciate it. I filled out my profile and introduced myself. I haven’t hit the regional lounge yet, which I have to do soon, because this is pretty much all anyone there will hear from me until after the filming is complete.

So The Fix-It Girl will start its life on Nov. 1. I’m such a freak that I might stay up and actually start writing at midnight. Oh, wait, it’s midnight of the 31 October going in to the 1st of November. I’m definitely up anyway, with Samhain ceremonies. It’ll probably be two or three a.m. before I can sit down to write.

HawkOwl left a comment on a previous post, not understanding why I was frustrated with NaNoWriMo when it was free and all they were doing is issuing a challenge. I think because my perception of it is different. I don’t see it as just issuing a challenge. I know I can write 50,000 words in a month. I do approximately that much nearly every month. They’ve set up a community and taken on the responsibility for nurturing it. It’s sort of like the choice between going to Starbucks or going to a community coffee shop. I’m going to patronize the latter. I don’t mind if the tables are wonky or the stuffing comes out of the cushions as long as the atmosphere is warm and friendly and I have a sense that things are running smoothly. However, if the milk is sour and the coffee’s been sitting on the burner for 18 hours and turns to motor oil, I’m going to find another place to patronize.

I’m not doing NaNoWriMo to see if I can write a novel in a month. I already know I can do that. I’ve done it before. I’m there for the community, the encouragement, what I can learn from other writers on every level, and the sense that, although we’re all working on individual projects, we’re all working towards a common goal – finishing. But I also need to feel it’s “safe space” and smoothly run.

The problems I encountered in the early days frustrated me because the site is actively focused for only two months per year – one month sign-up, one month writing – which leaves plenty of time for fixes in between. And, even though the staff is unpaid, they still made a commitment. And they have sought publicity, so acting surprised by the site’s growth is disingenuous, in my opinion. Because of the experiences of the past few months, warning bells undoubtedly go off much faster than they normally might, and I’m more cynical and suspicious than I’ve been in the past.

It could just be that they were prepared but things went wrong anyway, as they usually do with anything technical. The problems seem to have been fixed, and were done in a short amount of time and in a friendly manner, which I find encouraging. I want to have a good experience with this. I want to see what it’s like to write “with” a group of several thousand people over a fixed period of time. I’m well aware how much organization and tactical maneuvering something like this takes – remember, I’ve been a production manager for theatre, film and television. It’s more complicated than moving the military from place to place.

Speaking of television, I have a feeling our location schedule might change if the remnants of Hurricane Tammy meander up this way next week. I just have to take each day as it comes.

My mom is feeling better, and having fun learning how to work the cell phone. I’m going over to check on her this afternoon and cook dinner. The cats are relieved I’m home.

Sent over an interview to a poet I want to interview for Circadian and need to get a lot of business-y type work done this morning. I hope I can get some creative work done later in the day.

I hope I can also spend some time putting up the Halloween decorations. I collect holiday decorations and have quite an accumulation. I need a large Victorian Gothic house simply so I have a place to hang all my decorations! I’d like to get things up in the next day or two so I can thoroughly enjoy them on the few days I’m actually home this month.

I’m researching a new idea that I suspect will take a full year to set up before I can move forward on it. I want to make sure that strong systems are in place before inviting others in to it. But it could be an awful lot of fun for those who work on it and those who are entertained by the result. More info to come as I feel I can reveal it. For now, I will use the clichéd title of “Project X”.

Worked on non-fiction proposal A. I have to figure out a realistic budget for it, which makes it attractive to the publisher without screwing the writers. And, since what I’m doing is rather unusual, I have to look to other fields for even slightly similar models. So much for being done with the research! The proposal itself looks good and reads well. I just have to tackle the budget particulars, which I hate. But, I guess I’m learning something valuable.

Devon
www.devonellingtonwork.com
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems

2 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Project X sounds intriguing! I can't wait to see what you've come up with!
:-)

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger HawkOwl said...

Thanks for the response to my comment... I hope you enjoy the NaNoWriMo experience. Last year I didn't participate in the NaNoWriMo.org interface at all but had a lot of fun with the people who joined "NaNoBlogMo." This year I think I'll do the opposite. Either way I agree, the feeling of community is a nice touch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home