Friday, November 18, 2005

Friday, November 18, 2005
Waning Moon
Mercury Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and cold

No heat today. When it was in the 60s, they blasted up the heat. Today it’s in the 30s and nothing. Time to call the landlord.

Got up early and did most of my NaNo pages before taking the car in; came home and did the rest. 3027 words this morning. I am so close. I can’t falter now.

Day work was fine yesterday. I had ideas for several stories, which I jotted down. When it’s time for them to ripen, they will.

I listened to NPR, which is always stimulating. Actor Neil Patrick Harris was interviewed and he had some of the most insightful and well-articulated comments about Stephen Sondheim’s work that I’ve ever heard. He talked about how Sondheim builds time for the character to think in the music – such as be using an eighth rest instead of a sixteenth rest, or bringing up a tone at the end of the third repetition of a lyric. He’s right. Sondheim’s work is enormously character detailed.

Didn’t feel up to going out after work last night. I’m in a lot of pain –can’t wait for acupuncture on Monday. And I want to push through and hit the NaNo goal this weekend, so that I can relax.

I wrote Chapter Twenty, and started the next section, in the spring of 1933, in Chapter 21. I’m setting the stage for them to leave Hollywood. And get the rest of the piece back on track. I hope I can pack in everything I need to in 20 more chapters.

But, in December, I’m not going to work at such a frantic pace.

I’m worried that, because I have outlined, this work is too deliberate. I haven’t felt the fire that I often feel with a piece. I enjoy the writing, I believe in the piece, but . . .it may simply be exhaustion from trying to hit 2500 each day.

I’m ready for a trip. I look forward to Maine next week. I just hope it doesn’t snow.

During the day, I think of all sorts of things I want to discuss in the blog. Then, in the morning, I work on my NaNo pages before I write the blog, and by the time I get here, all that’s in my head is Nano.

I haven’t even talked much about hockey lately. The Islanders struggled early on, but lately have done well. In fact, the other night against Pittsburgh, it took 9 shooters on the Islander side to win the game. Jason Blake scored the winning goal – nearly lost it off the edge of his stick, but kept his cool and got it in. And DiPietro kept his cool and his temper down at the other end of the ice. He’s maturing well. Garth Snow anchored a good game the other night – Atlanta I think. I’m glad Snow’s back with the Islanders.

Last night, however, Tampa Bay beat the Islanders 3-2. Martin St. Louis scored the winning goal – and he wasn’t even supposed to be in the game, because he has a broken finger. But he was there and he won it for them. St. Louis is one of my favorite players, and has been since before he got so much attention, the Stanley Cup and the MVP. He’s a prime example of the scouts overlooking talent. The guy was never drafted – but he has an MVP trophy and a Stanley Cup ring. And he’s a hell of a good guy, too.

Whether it’s hockey or writing, don’t ever let anyone tell you that you can’t achieve your dream.

Put down your head, work your butt off, and do it.

The question always is: How badly do you want it?

And only you can answer it.

Devon


The Fix-It Girl ­ -- 47,529 words (NaNo goal 50,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
47 / 50
(94.0%)


The Fix-It Girl – 47,529 words (completion goal 100,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
47 / 100
(47.0%)

4 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Colin said...

94% WOO-HOO!!!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, my gosh, you're almost there! That is so cool!

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Blessings and congratulations to you! And I hope you have heat and freedom from pain now.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

You'll knock that out before next week, I know you will! Well at least the 50K.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home