Saturday, November 05, 2005

Saturday, November 05, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and warm

Feeling a bit better, but still not great. Ran yet more errands this morning (do they never stop)? More groceries – I have some serious baking to do in the upcoming week.

Two CDs of 1930s music arrived yesterday, and I’m using them to spur on The Fix-It Girl. 3439 words today – about a chapter and a half, which is decent progress.

I’m used to writing quickly and churning out a lot of work in a short time. However, with NaNo, it’s different, because the entire focus is the mantra of “words on paper.” I literally sit down and don’t get up until the quota is done.

Usually, I write a few pages; I get up and wander around. I write some more. I get there, but in a different way.

These words are sprawling all over the place. The piece will need an enormous rewrite. Yet, if I think about it now, I’ll get distracted from the purpose of the month – which is to simply get 50,000 words on paper.

It’s bizarre how different the process is when the exterior trappings seem so similar to the way I’ve worked in the past.

It’s wonderful and frustrating all at once.

I’m written out on this for now – over quota, thank goodness.

And, as I made coffee this morning and put it in my favorite moose mug (as opposed to any of my other ten favorite mugs), I got the idea of this year’s holiday story.

So, maybe, this afternoon, I can start that. I expect it will be 2000 words or less, so a first draft shouldn’t take too much time. And it gives me time to do rewrites and then design it and print it on pretty paper and give it as gifts. Instead of all these hoity-toity expensive programs that don’t work, I’m going back to good old Printmaster Gold, my favorite program. I can set things up the way I want it, I can design page borders, I can do everything MY way, and have a nice little something to give as holiday gifts.

And the Halloween decorations have to come down now so that the Thanksgiving ones can go up.

Neither Microsoft nor Blogger are working properly today, which means everything takes hours longer than it should. Very frustrating.

I contacted Amazon customer support. I paid extra – the equivalent of another hard cover book – in order to get 3-5 day shipping on my order, since the free shipping to which I was entitled would take three weeks. Even though everything in my order is marked “in stock” or ‘ships in 24 hours”. So I pay the extra $$ -- back on November 1 – and the order STILL hasn’t shipped and will probably take three weeks anyway. And I’m paying extra because . . .

Uh, no.

Amazon’s customer service has gone down the drain in the past few months. There are plenty of other book distributors and independent stores who will offer a good price and actually ship in 3-5 days when that’s what you’re paying for.

I have a very difficult letter to write today --- which I keep putting off. And I have an article to finish for FemmeFan. All I want to do is to crawl back in to bed.

And . . .

I still need to get some rest.

Devon



The Fix-It Girl -- 14,156 words (NaNo goal – 50,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
14 / 50
(28.0%)




The Fix-It Girl – 14,156 words (completion goal – 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
14 / 100
(14.0%)

1 Comments:

At 3:07 AM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Mine is going to need a lot of editing, too, but I'm excited at the new directions the plot and two of my characters are taking. No major change to the overall story, but a few interesting excursions. That's something I didn't anticipate gaining from Nano, and it's great.

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better, and well done with your big word score!

Have a lovely Sunday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home