Saturday, November 12, 2005

Saturday, November 12, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and cold

3231 words on Fix-It Girl this morning, bringing me up to 32,524. Plugging away at it, plugging away. I wonder if I’m taking too long to get in to the story, but a lot of the actual story is the behind-the-scenes machinations, not just getting the main characters out of Hollywood.

And one character, who was supposed to be a symbol of a social inequity and then disappear, has made it very, very clear that she has an important part to play in the story further down the line.

I wasn’t very productive yesterday, other than working on Fix-It Girl. There’s a lot I should be doing, a lot I need to be doing, and I’m not doing it. I’m physically and emotionally exhausted, and having trouble taking care of things that need to be handled.

I did spend a pleasant social event last night, though, with one of the writing students I mentor and the young woman who put the program together. We met at The Coffee Pot on Ninth Avenue (and I got to write a bit on Never Too Late while I waited for them).

The Coffee Pot has redesigned itself to expand the counter space and get rid of the banquettes filled with comfy cushions. Now, there are two futons in one corner with white (!) covers that look like they came from Ikea; nothing comfortable; the tables squashed closer together, more internet access, brighter lights, and a plasma screen TV. The crowd’s going from funky neighborhood art crowd to yuppie and tourist.

In other words, it’s no longer a great place to write.

What a shame.

We chatted for awhile, then I took them on a backstage tour at the show. Then we meandered around Fifth Avenue and through Rockefeller Center; then I took them on a sacred pilgrimage to the Algonquin.

They’re writers. They need to know the Algonquin.

We sat in the Blue Bar, because the lobby was full. I had a sidecar; they had Shirley Temples; we shared pizza. Matilda the cat was nowhere to be found—I’m sure it was far too chaotic for her. I was surprised – and pleased – by how full the place was. Our waiter was at least 105, but very sweet. Fortunately, we weren’t in a hurry.

Talking with such bright, talented, independent-thinking young women gives me hope for the future. They’re extremely talented, extremely intelligent, and aren’t going to let “society” push them around and seal them into boxes not of their own choosing.

What an honour to spend an evening with them!

I hope to have a productive day today. At the very least, if I don’t get the laundry done, it will topple over and I’ll have to excavate a cat. So let’s hope the rest of the building doesn’t have the same idea.

And let’s hope I can concentrate and get some of the other work that’s stacking up on this desk done.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review


The Fix-It Girl – 32,524 words (NaNo goal 50,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
32 / 50
(64.0%)



The Fix-It Girl – 32,524 words (completion goal 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
32 / 100
(32.0%)

1 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger magz said...

well howdy devon, very pleased to meetcha and honored to see my name as a nano link here!

thank you muchly for your kind words, all the healing vibes from blogland are definately helping!

you've got a neat blog here, i'm going to link ya so's I can read it all, after I heal a bit more that is. I'm still noveling (actually 3 at once; 2 for nano (linked) and one just for me..) but the writings going a little slow, i'm just not sitting up for too long at a time yet. I'll be back tho, and thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home