Saturday, November 19, 2005

Saturday, November 19, 2005
Waning Moon
Mars Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Sunny and COLD


The heat kicked on yesterday in the late morning. After the oil truck turned up. Yes, folks, we had no heat because the building had run out of oil. This is what happens when the onsite super of 30 years retires and is replaced by someone who is only available by cell phone.

In addition to digging in and hitting the 50K mark on Fix-It Girl yesterday, I also did a rewrite of the Christmas story, designed it, and did the layout. It’s cute. The design elements are consistent, but the size on the pages morphs due to needed space. Which isn’t the most professional way to do it, but it seems to work.

I found massive typos in the copy – all gotten through spell check, but it was too small to read on the screen and I missed it in the layout process. So I’ll do a few more passes. And I have to decide what kind of paper to use. I may go down a font size to 12 – it’s currently 14 – in order to keep the back cover clear. Right now, there are words to the very back cover margin. And I had to cut to make it fit!

There are things I want to change and I’m having nerves about the piece because it’s cute and sweet instead of hard-hitting. But it does capture Greenwich Village in holiday time (thank you, TV pilot, for giving me an excuse to reacquaint myself with the area), and it’s definitely within the holiday spirit, so I need to get over myself, fix the problems and get on with it.

One of the reasons for my insecurity is because, years ago, I created in a small blank book, personal poems and stories as a Christmas gift for someone close to me. The person unwrapped it, flipped through it – and threw it in the trash. In front of me. Without reading any of it.

Any wonder this person is no longer in my life?

But it still makes me jumpy.

I also think I tried to put too much in this story – even though it is only three scenes – exposition wise. The problem about writing about someone who has a great NY apartment is that you have to explain how the character acquired it. New Yorkers are obsessed with real estate. The stories about people reading obituaries to find apartments are entirely true. One of the biggest complaints about The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd was that NY viewers did not believe she could have: a) gotten and b) kept the great apartment in the series.

So, I’ll have to fix and cut and err on the side of too little description rather than explain everything about this character’s back story in 1600 words. We don’t need to know EVERYTHING. We need to know what’s relevant to the STORY. The rest can be hints.

Anyway, off to the post office, and then back to write.

Now that the pressure is off Fix-It Girl, I’m relaxing into it and it’s flowing.

Devon

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

I cannot believe that person did that to you. People are so mean! That's OK, when you are on Oprah, they'll be kicking themselves for not keeping it. It would have been worth MILLIONS and that'll show 'em. HA!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Tenille said...

Every year I consider putting together little stories/chapbooks as gifts for people close to me, and my fear is exactly what you described. I mean to have something that you put so much into just tossed aside in that way... how rude!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home