Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sunday, November 13, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and cold

I had to scrape the frost off my car windows this morning when I went out to get the newspapers.

I helped one friend with a press release yesterday and another with a submission package for a publisher.

I did some work on the text for the business site, and I cancelled both the DE site and the CC site out of my previous host. I received the software from my new hosts, so I ought to be able to load that in and reload the DE site shortly, then work on tweaking it.

Lots of work to do.

I also wrenched my shoulder badly yesterday, about a half hour before I had to leave for the James Joyce Pub. I lay there on the floor, on icepacks, in pain, thinking, “Great. Just great. I CANNOT have this happen again.”

But I made it through.

The NaNo meeting at the James Joyce Pub was fun. It was a small group, but lively, and we talked about a variety of topics. I’m burned out on marketing, so, although one participant is a talented marketer, I skipped most of that conversation, because sometimes I just want to hang out. But I enjoyed getting to know everyone, and the pub treated us very well. I hope that I get a chance to see all of these people again, and I look forward to reading their work, when it’s ready to be read.

We were invited to participate in a reading in CT in December; I think I’m going to do it. I’d like to. Not that I like the performing aspect of it, but the event itself sounds like fun.

I was dismayed by an incident on one of my favorite forums. Several of the writers on it posted derogatory comments about a best-selling author, calling him a “bad writer”. Now, I’m not fond of this writer’s work – I don’t connect with it at all and I don’t particularly like the way he presents his stories. But he is a best-selling author, so his works resonates strongly with thousands of people. Just because I don’t like his work doesn’t mean he’s a “bad writer”. I felt that calling him that was simply mean. It’s hard enough to make a living in this line of work without colleagues attacking each other. If I don’t like an author’s work, I won’t buy it. Or, if we’re having critical discussions in a bar or at a conference, I might specify what works and doesn’t for me and why. But I certainly don’t feel that I have the right to call him a “bad writer” – and it makes me sad that people I like and respect in many ways, think this is fun.

Tough going on Fix-It Girl today. I’m having a lot of resistance to the work – even though I know where I’m going with it. I don’t want to slack off now, because I want to make sure I reach my goal before Thanksgiving, so I don’t have to stress at the end of the month.

And I want to see where the piece, as a whole finishes.

Every once in awhile I look at it and go, “this is crap”. But it’s a first draft, so that’s okay. This is the skeleton of the story.

For instance, today, I wrote several paragraphs of description about a Hollywood premiere. I know, full well, that when I go back in the rewrite, this will morph into a page or two where I reveal all of the same information through the actions of the characters rather than flat sentences telling what they do. This section is what I call a “placeholder”. I need to get it down so I remember the gist of it, but my focus today is on something that happens further along. In the rewrite, I will take the time to put in the detail and take out the telling, replacing it with showing. In this case, rather than dialogue, which I usually use to move the action forward, it will be in the actions and interactions of the characters as they walk down the red carpet. But today, my focus was on the next section, so I put in a placeholder. When I go back, this section will probably take a full day to write properly. But at least I won’t have lost the idea of it.

Off to work on an article and also the Christmas story. I did three pages on it. I may have to retitle it – the title is cute, but the character in the second half of the title doesn’t appear until page 17 and if I’m really going to cap it at 25 – I need a new title. Because that character can’t appear earlier.

Sigh.

Devon



The Fix-It Girl – 35,230 words (NaNo goal 50,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
35 / 50
(70.0%)


The Fix-It Girl – 35,230 words (completion goal 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
35 / 100
(35.0%)

6 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Tenille said...

You'll fall back into place with Fix-It. You're doing amazing with it. I look forward to hearing how it all comes together.

I'm glad you enjoyed your outing with the other NaNo'ers.

As excited as I've been with my NaNo project, I realize that I've been avoiding the hard parts for as long as I possibly could, and now that it's time to write them... Ugh. But, I gotta push through.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Well done! You're doing great. I hope that shoulder behaves itself. My elbow has thrown a tantrum this weekend, so I know how offputting such pain is. In fact, I haven't written a single nano-word today. I might do a bit tonight, but resting the elbow might be more sensible. I'll see.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Btw, there's a nice photo of Looe for you on my blog today - second post from the top, bottom photo. :)

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Okay.. your very first sentence: I am SOOO jealous. It's 85 here!!!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

Frost? I had no frost. Condensation. It ended up being really nice today. I'm glad you had a good Nano meeting, I wish I could partake in some, but duty calls. *sigh* Hope your shoulder feels better soon.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Anita said...

You're doing great! Your story about your NaNo get together makes me jealous. Most of the people in my region are underage, so the whole cool pub thing is out. Oh well. I'm trying to convince them that it would be fun to meet at this cool, independent coffee shop I know of instead of a Starbucks or a Barnes and Noble! I hope your shoulder feels better soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home