Thursday, November 03, 2005

Thursday, November 03, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant


I did Chapter Three of The Fix-It Girl this morning – 2777 words. I’m wishing I’d done even more research than I did – about the daily details. I have to keep a running list of things to fact check. I want to make sure my period details are correct.

I also realized that, since the piece starts in 1932, I may well have a chance to explore the impact the WPA had during the Depression. It means I have to do research on the WPA, but it’ll be worth it. The New York Public Library has a great deal of the documentation from that era bound and printed – I came across it five or six years ago when I was doing research on something else. I’ve always been interested in the WPA, so I glanced through it – now I have a reason to thoroughly read it.

That’s all for the rewrite, though. For now – words on paper.

And here I picked this topic because I thought it would be a minimum of research!

Had a bunch of errands which ate up yesterday afternoon, including driving my mother to the doctor. Wrote three and a half pages of Never Too Late in the waiting room. The fire alarm went off while we were there and we all had to evacuate. Someone working on the building set it off by mistake.

Came across an excellent CD of Nordic music called Wizard Women of the North by accident in one of the stores yesterday – and bought it. It’s not the right music for Fix-It Girl, but it’s useful for relaxing and it will be useful for pieces like NTL and when I go back to Ransagh.

I have a bunch of errands to take care of this morning before heading back in to the theatre. Once day work is done, it’s downtown to Strand Books (I’ll have to be strict with myself) and then meet up with some fellow NaNo’ers. I’m looking forward to it.

I’m concerned about my check from Llewellyn. For years, it always arrived on Halloween (per contract). Monday – no check. Tuesday – no check. Yesterday – no check. I’m giving them one more day and then contacting them. I had a change in editors, and I’m worried that maybe the outgoing editor didn’t put in the check request. So I better stay on top of it.

I am proud of myself that I paid off one credit card this week. The entire thing. It had a relatively small balance on it – a store card – but it’s still entirely paid off. I’m chipping away at everything. I want to be debt-free. It’ll take awhile – especially in this area of the country, where, in order to survive, I need to earn in one week what most families in the other areas of the country can live on for a month.

But I’m going to do it.

Off to get everything else done and get to the city. I’m still unbelievably exhausted all the time. Because I jumped right back in to the rest of my life after the pilot, I haven’t had the type of decompression time I need, and it’s taking a toll. All I want to do is sleep.

However, getting up at six a.m., doing yoga and then working on my quota of NaNo pages seems to be working. As I mentioned before, I’m pushing hard now so that, as things come up during the month, I don’t falter.

Someday, I won’t have to feel as though I’m rushing all the time. And I’d prefer that day to be sooner, rather than later.

The web host move has begun. I’ll announce it when the site and its attached addresses are functional again.

Let’s hope I have a better experience with m new host. They do communicate and actually answer my questions, which is miles beyond what my former host did, which is refuse to answer questions.

Off to get things done.

Devon


The Fix-It Girl – 8015 words (NaNo goal – 50,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
8 / 50
(16.0%)



The Fix-It Girl – 8015 words (completion goal – 100,000)


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
8 / 100
(8.0%)

2 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Well done, Devon! I'm following the "push hard at the start of the month" policy, too. Makes sense, doesn't it? I've pushed harder today, actually, because I know tomorrow is going to be a difficult day.

We're getting there, friend! :)

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

I have the itch to go back and edit and research, but I don't. GAH! That is why there are drafts...right? Tell me I'm right? LOL!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home