Friday, November 11, 2005

Thursday, November 11, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and cold

I give my thanks to the work of all the veterans for their dedication and commitment on this Veteran’s Day.

I didn’t get any work done on Never Too Late yesterday, but, during day work, I had quite a few ideas. I spent most of the call stitching, doing repairs, and, for some reason, when there’s a needle in my hand, my mind flows along quite well. That’s one reason I like to work on quilting projects when I’m working on a big writing project.

I outlined an article I’d like to do, and made a list of people to interview for it. I also had an idea of three sets of stories inspired by other mediums – a set of stories inspired by paintings, which I’ve mentioned before; a set of stories inspired by black and white photographs, probably of New York, and probably taken by my friend Barb, and a set of stories inspired by tarot cards.

When I’ll actually get to do them is something quite separate; but I made notes on everything.

I cancelled my evening meeting because my mom got bad news from her physical therapist – he thinks she needs surgery. And her view is that, at 80+, she does not want to be cut open.

I still had to do the errands I’d planned between day work and the meeting, but they were frustrating and not fruitful. I’m almost – and I emphasize almost – looking forward to the upcoming Mercury Retrograde so I can get in some good shopping.

I headed up to the Time Warner Center to the bookstore – couldn’t find any of what I needed. But there was some art event going on and I scored a glass of decent champagne.

Then, I walked east across 57th Street, among all the rushing people. Behind me were two tourist men, saying negative things about women and putting down restaurant after restaurant with “not our style.” I eavesdropped because they are exactly the kind of characters I like to kill off in my work – biased morons.

At a stop light, they caught up to me and tried to start a conversation about where they should go for dinner. I said, “Let me see. I bet your style is Hooters.”

Their eyes lit up. “There’s a Hooters near here? Wanna join us?”

I looked them up and down. “You’re not my style,” I said, and crossed the street.

Steinway Pianos was having some sort of recital and they invited me to stop in as I passed. Although it was tempting to go in for more champagne, I knew I couldn’t stay, so I regretfully passed on the invite.

Stopped at the other store on 57th and Park – couldn’t find anything I needed there, either.

So I caught the train back, dealt with my mother’s concerns, and tried to get some work done.

Not much writing, but caught up on email, etc. Set up my new addresses on my new web host – and now it seems I can’t manage or sort my address book, which is a major pain in the ass. Maybe there’s a way to do it that I simply can’t figure out. So I emailed support. Their support is good, so we’ll see what we can come up with. Otherwise, I’ll have to do it via a forwarding address.

About to publish today’s Circadian poem; have to pick up a few things at the store, work on an overdue article and finish the darned Christmas story. I managed about three pages on it yesterday. I think 25 pages will be a realistic goal.

I’m going in to the city this evening to meet with one of the teenagers I mentor and the teen head of the Absynthe Muse mentoring program. I’m really looking forward to it.

But there’s a lot to do before then.

2561 words on Fix-It Girl. I have a feeling the entire 50K will comprise of their time in Hollywood, and it won’t be until we pass that point that we’ll head back to New York and then over to London. It’s moving along briskly. Keeping a steady pace works much better than pushing myself beyond exhaustion one day and then not being able to write anything the following.

Sort of like rating a racehorse.

Keep learning, right? Keep evolving the process.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review


The Fix-It Girl – 29,273 words (NaNo goal – 50,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
29 / 50
(58.0%)


The Fix-It Girl – 29,273 words (completion goal – 100,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
29 / 100
(29.0%)



PS. Oh, yeah, on Pendrifter, linked at the right, my friend talked about an anthology over at Fantasist. So I hop over, think it looks interesting, but I have plenty on my plate, right?

Then a character starts talking.

And now there’s a first line. And it makes me want to know what the second line is.

You see where I’m going with this?

Sigh.

3 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

Hi Devon,

I was trying to get a hold of your email to shoot the P.R. over to you, but I can't seem to find it. Could you drop me an email (tenille_brown@hotmail.com) and I'll send it right over?

Thanks so much!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

Devon,

I'm sorry to hear that your mom's prognosis involves surgery and rehab, something that she doesn't want. After working in a rehab hospital setting for four years, I can say that I've seen time and time again how the mindset of the patient, especially in an advanced age, affects the entire process. I imagine she understands what will happen if she doesn't have an operation, and I have an inkling as to what that outcome will be - the same outcome they suggested I would experience without surgery.

My heart goes out to you. At the risk of repeating myself, your mother is so lucky to have you in her life. How many senior citizens deal with their life challenges alone, either from being childless or having distant and uncaring sons and daughters. In spite of your busy schedule and the demands upon your time and your creative efforts, you carve out a space for her, even now. Whatever she decides and whatever happens, I know you'll be there for her, and she's incredibly blessed.

I commend you again for mentoring a teen! Not only are you holding out the hands of love to your mother, you're offering direction to the future.

(((Hugs)))

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger busy91 said...

You would have loved being on the train with me yesterday. A woman came on, I don't think she was homeless but she needed meds. She was crying and talking about the corruption of the government and the health system and how she needs a bridge (teeth) and her MetroPlus and all kinds of interesting things. I was taking mental notes. NY is full of great characters.

I'm sorry about your mom. I don't blame her though. But if the surgery will help it might be a good thing. I dunno.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home