Thursday, November 17, 2005

Thursday, November 17, 2005
Waning Moon
Mercury Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and COLD



The temperature dropped about 25 degrees out here over night – it’s beautifully cold! I’m a Winter Girl, so I thrive as autumn turns to winter. Wakes me right up.

Took in the car to get it checked before next week’s trip, but the mechanic had too many cars stacked up and I’ll have to come back tomorrow. Our family’s been going there for over 30 years, and he’s selling the business. Hopefully, the new owners will care for their customers as much as he does. He has the reputation for being the most honest in the business around here, and it’s well-deserved.

That means I haven’t started my NaNo pages yet today; I intend to do so shortly. I’m back at the theatre this afternoon.

Last night, I played with various software on the computer. Six supposed photo-editing programs on the machine and they’re all crap. The PDF converter I have doesn’t lock files, so I went hunting to find a better one. Two inquiries out – two polite, positive responses today. If they’re actually truthful, I may have found some other options. Checked the companies out via consumer watchdog agencies, and they both have good reputations. So I’ll poke around their site some more and see which one looks like it has the most of what I need. Since none of the photo programs I have allow for captioning or layering, or allow graphics to be moved from program to program, some of the types of work I’m growing in to can’t be done. It’s not a dire need, but I’m growing in to it. Eventually, I’ll simply have to buy the top-of-the-line Adobe whatever for 2 grand, but not until my business freelancing income justifies it.

Pretty much everything that came with Microsoft is useless, and I don’t know why I’m surprised. Worst choice I ever made was going PC instead of Mac with my first computer. And I’ve paid for it.

I did manage to design a couple of projects I need for the holidays – since they’re to print out, not to attach via email, my oldest graphics program – which still meets my needs best – good old Printmaster Gold – came through. I’m going to play with it some more and see if it will let me convert/save to jpg and then attach and email. Maybe I can just go back to using them for everything.

Deleted a bunch of useless programs, including the extra crap sent by my new host. And, as I worked through add/remove, I discovered a bunch of advertising stuff that had installed itself and got rid of those, too. My McAfee, which updates daily, is supposed to catch those and isn’t, which annoys me.

At least I finally understand how to do this now. Then I defragmented everything and the computer is running much more smoothly.

All of this was after I did my 5k yesterday, to catch up with Fix-It Girl. My current chapter, 19, and the next chapter, 20, will wind up this section. Then, instead of plodding along linearly, Chapter 21 will start a few months down the road, and I can finally get them out of Hollywood and back on with the rest of what they need to do. They’ve gotten so caught up in the industry in Hollywood and are working hard and living their lives, that they seem to have forgotten the rest of the piece.

So. I’m going to try to go back and get my word quota done.

Yesterday’s entry on The Scruffy Dog Review Blog was an admission of the fantasy I have every time I see a commercial building for rent or lease.

And yesterday’s entry on my friend’s blog Costume Imp, which deals with “Top Ten Signs You’re Directing A Flop” is especially hilarious because every point refers to an actual NY show.

Off to work.

Devon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home