Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Tuesday, November 01, 2005
New Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and Mild


Of course, at midnight, I was busy, so I didn’t get to start on The Fix-It Girl until this morning. But I got up early, did my ten pages – 2572 words (the entire first chapter) and here we go!

I was chomping at the bit last night, so eager to start. I managed to do another six pages of Never Too Late.

In spite of this year being difficult, I feel a lot of hope for the future. I’m in a reflective process, trying to figure out what I need to change in my life in order to reach my goals.

Of course, I want the transition to be a smooth and painless snap, but that’s not the way it works, is it?

My mom’s having a bad time – she’s in constant pain from her injury. I look forward to our acupuncture appointment, which will give her some relief. Painkillers don’t cut it. I remember from my injury – didn’t matter how narcotic it was, it didn’t do a damn thing.

Found a copy of the Hays Code online, which was put into effect in 1930, to monitor “morality” in films. Since my piece takes place in Hollywood, NY and London in the early 1930s, this code is an important piece of the puzzle.

I’m fond of Mavis, my protagonist, and looking forward to taking this journey with her. I’m also looking forward to taking the journey with my fellow NaNoWriMos.

Cheers to us!

Errands to run and a train to catch. After all, I have day work today. I’d like it all to be about The Fix-It Girl, but, unfortunately, it’s not. Not yet, anyway.

I have a special altar set up just for this project – with a wooden carved Boddhavista (I think I spelled that wrong), a birthstone, some runes, a lucky pig, my basil/lime candle, and a small crystal ball. I light the candle for each writing session. It sets apart the writing on this project from everything else, and points out how sacred it is.

Elsa, of course, got into the rune bag last night and I was crawling around on the floor searching for the spilled runes. She’s got a fascination with them, and the ones I’m using right now, made out of sycamore wood, are her favorites. According to one of my rune books, cats especially respond to Fehu, one of the runes I’m using, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Off to the shower.

Devon



The Fix-It Girl – 2572 words (NaNo goal: 50,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2 / 50
(4.0%)


The Fix-It Girl – 2572 words (completion goal: 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
2 / 100
(2.0%)



Never Too Late – 56,750 words

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
56 / 90
(62.2%)

6 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

Good luck on NaNo this year! :)

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Good job on your first day of NaNo!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and offering words of support for my NaNoMoWri effort. This is my first year of participating and as you say in your post, taking the journey with other writers is both a source of encouragement and a feeling of community.

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling hope for the future. I hear & read the words of some people, who seem to be endlessly talking themselves and life down. I wonder how it's possible to move forward and be creative and happy, when the messages that you're giving to yourself are negative. I've been one to feed myself with negativity for years upon end, so I can speak about it with some experience.

You're absolutely correct - reflecting and being centered, decideing what you need to change in your life to reach your goals is of primary importance. After I left my job, one of the first books that I read was "Learn to Power Think" by Caterina Rando. She says in the book, "When our destiny seems to have stalled, this is usually the hardest price to pay. You must be willing to pay that price, over and over if necessary to manifest your desire ...Your desires may require you to do unusual, innovative or even outlandish things before the universe is sure you are serious about your request." It really made me realize that the universe had been "doing" to me and I wanted to manifest those things that I wanted.

I'm excited for you, with what you will discover during your reflective process and have every confidence that you will be able to manifest the changes that you want in your life.

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is having a hard time. I can completely attest to the fact that painkillers don't cut it. I'm in physical therapy now and my pain level has increased. I take a painkiller every six hours to "take the edge" off, but I'm always in pain. My heating pad and my ice bag are my best friends right now. I feel for your mom, and for you, being there for her and dealing with your own pain. I'm SO glad to hear that you both continue to have accupuncture, and believe that's one of the best things that you can do. I know you're aware of aromatherapy and other therapies as well, so thankfully mom and you aren't depending on traditional medicine, which has a way of letting down the majority of it's consumer base.

Thank you for sharing about your fondness for Mavis! The Hays Code sounds fascinating, especially since I write erotica. I'm going to do some online research on it. I'm fascinated with my "Patrick" and finding out more about who he is during NaNoWriMo.

What a wonderful idea - a project altar! I have had a theory about cats and altars every since I learned about Bast, and cats in Egyptian history/spiriruality, which is to say that they're drawn to the energy that the altars produce. It appears that Elsa is as well. :)

I started off making altars on bookshelves and tables and then one day I remember Bridey saying, "Mom, you're whole room is an altar." I have a "Hobbit hole" room/altar, and since Tolkien is a powerful inspiration in my writing life, it suits me. It's a powerful tool, building a specific altar for a specific intention, and yes - your project is sacred indeed.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Your mom is in my thoughts, and I hope the acupuncture does her some good.
Also, as Mik and Melissa said, Good luck with NaNo!

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Costume Imp said...

Best wishes on Nano! Take no prisoners (as usual)! Bast and Little Roo send their love. Bast apoligized today for flinging her dish at you...

I almost called you this morning. I was in Grand Central this morning, waiting in line for a book signing. See ya soon doll!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Eric said...

Sounds like starting the Nano is rough going. Your mom will get better, I'm sure. Good luck with the 50K!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home