Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and pleasant


There will be a lovely essay on William Blake’s poem “The Tyger” over on Circadian today, once I get this posted.

Three pages on the Christmas story yesterday. And I caught up on editorial work for both The Scruffy Dog Review and Circadian.

Except for a bit of room for some Yuletide-type poems, all the poetry slots on Circadian are filled for the year. Any new submissions will be considered for 2006. Not bad!

I did a quick edit on a short story and submitted it; I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Working my way down my holiday lists – I want to get things done ahead of time this year, so that I can relax and enjoy the holidays.

Read The Splintered Icon by Bill Napier. There was a lot I liked about it, but I wasn’t quite swept along the way I wanted to be. That could well be because of the stresses I’m under, and that I couldn’t completely dive in to the book the way it deserved.

2560 words on The Fix-It Girl today. I met my personal quota, but just barely. I looked back at some of the pages – without editing, just to get back into the rhythm of the piece. What I have is a decent skeleton, but it’s heavy on dialogue and needs more description. Right now, it reads more like a play than a novel. That’s something I will change in the edit, as I fill out period details and add in more of the social context. I’m working on the bare bones of it in this draft – character and plot, with the characters driving the plot. I have to go back in and add the texture. When this draft is done.

Although I’m relatively confident I’ll hit the 50K mark by the end of the month, I now wonder if the completed first draft will be 100K. This draft may be less; the second draft will be much more, since I tend to overwrite in second drafts; and the final – six or seven drafts down the pike – will probably hover around 100K.

I did something very difficult yesterday. I sent in my official resignation to KIC. The hard copy goes out certified mail today. I am no longer a KIC author. Considering that I spent the past two years of my life writing four serials (a minimum commitment of 8000 words per week), this was a huge step for me, especially on an emotional level. But I don’t feel I can live in limbo waiting for someone else to decide my fate. This is my business, not my hobby, and I need to make decisions that are both ethical and move my career forward. I’ve done all that I can do and more to help the company, and the return grew less and less, both in terms of financial and emotional value. Staying drained me; by leaving, both sides can move on in positive ways with their respective visions. I hope the company returns to publishing in the future, and I’m grateful for the opportunities it afforded me. But I had to cut the weight that was pulling me down and continue on.

What next? I have to make sure the legalities of the severance are taken care of. Then I can track down my subscribers and make good on unfinished subscriptions. Then I will be able to take the stories to their next life. It will all take time and patience, neither of which I’ve ever banked in great enough quantities.

Today, I have errands (again) and then it’s off to the city for day work. I hope I can come straight home after and do more work on the Christmas story. And the article – which still hovers, unfinished. And the article that’s due tomorrow for The Scruffy Dog Review Blog. I know what I want to say – I just have to get the words on paper and then rearrange them so that they make sense.

I have opinions on current politics, but haven’t had the time to write them down. Never fear, my soap box still stands, polished and waiting.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review



The Fix-It Girl – 21,241 words (NaNo goal 50,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
21 / 50
(42.0%)



The Fix It Girl – 21,241 words (completion goal 100,000)


Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
21 / 100
(21.0%)

6 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Tenille said...

Big hugs to you on having to make such a difficult decision. You had to do what was right you and your future.

You're right, you can't be strung along by someone else's shady business practices.

You're doing great on The Fix-It Girl!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger busy91 said...

Six or Seven drafts!!!????
Gosh, I don't even want to think that far ahead. Can't I just write it perfectly the first time?

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger David Bridger said...

I'm humbled by your work rate. Glad you've cleared the decks of one that has obviously been troubling you, though.

I hope this comment registers. I tried twice to comment here yesterday, and both times Blogger told me your blog doesn't exist. Silly Blogger.

Anyway, what it was: I agree with you about Amazon's customer service standards going downhill.

I glanced back at my Nano first thing this morning, too. It's very heavy on internal dialogue. (Note to my internal editor: "your neuroses are showing, my dear.")

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

It's too bad about KIC, but you've made the right decision. You have to look out for yourself and your career. Keep the road wide and well-lit. d:)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Lorianne said...

I don't know what KIC is, but if quitting makes you happy, DO IT. Sometimes you just have to follow your gut, everything else be damned.

I'm impressed by your word-count. Today's writing was "sludgy," but the night's not over. :-)

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger Wynn Bexton said...

You are certainly productive! I'm impressed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home