Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Tuesday, November 15, 2005
Full Moon
Uranus DIRECT
Mars Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Rainy

A bad night bodes for a difficult day. I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in a long time, and I’m at the end of my coping rope.

It doesn’t help that I’m having trouble with the new web host. They don’t support FTP on site – you have to download something called WISE-FTP – because if you use the Front Page whatevers, you can’t upload the files of your choice, according to them, everything has to then be done via Front Page, and that does me no good.

So, of course, the WISE-FTP loads – along with a half a dozen programs I don’t want and don’t need and will never use. And then, you have to set, in the Admin Control Panel, certain things – but the steps to do so aren’t in the set-up manual. It goes from going in to the panel to uploading, claiming something is already set. But it isn’t. And there’s no information as to what it’s supposed to be or where or how to put it in, especially since I have three distinct sites to set up so they upload separately.

When I talked to them during the switch, they swore I could do so, and I wouldn’t have the problems I had with the last host; yet, there aren’t any directions. And it’s not that a page is missing. What they say is there and what actually comes up on the screen don’t match.

So I contacted customer support and told them just how unhappy I am about this, and we’ll see.

I mean, I now know just HOW MUCH the people who write these manuals make, and it’s a good chunk of change. So the manuals should be well-written, logical, and have in all the bits you need to get it set up.

Drove my mother to the doctor yesterday and managed to get three pages done on Never Too Late while she was in with him. I was ready to strangle one of the women in the waiting room with her own purse strap – she was an elderly woman with her elderly husband and all she did was berate him in a loud voice. Now, I’m sure she’s got her hands full having to handle everything, but that’s no reason to be so vile.

The doctors have basically written my mother off, telling her she’ll never regain use of her arm, and she only gets one more month of PT. That’s just not good enough. In addition, our lovely health care system has raised her premiums again. Now, she has two sets of private insurance for which she’s paid far too much over the past thirty years. And they’re disputing some of her bills.

The healthcare system in this country can bite me.

This is simply not acceptable.

Did some work on the Christmas story yesterday, but the damn thing still isn’t finished.

Couldn’t sleep, the cats were in a tizzy all night, and then, when I finally got to sleep, I didn’t wake up until after 8, which means there’s no time to work on NaNo before I have to leave for the city.

So I have to make it up tonight, whether I feel like it or not. Get the butt in the chair and turn out some words. I can’t falter now. I’m too close.

We all have bad days. I’m going to try to ride this one out on a surfboard and hope I don’t drown.

Devon

7 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Sue said...

I'm sorry to hear your Mom's having so much trouble. If it helps at all, I don't think it's just your country with a healthcare problem. I am quite sure the people who make decisions that result in coverage have not had the perspective of living with anything chronic or longterm.

Hope today smooths out a bit for you and you get some answers from that Web Host!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Ouch, ouch, and ouch. I hope your day is loads better by now. May your Mom's health and healthcare improve rapidly, and may your technical problems dissolve completely, and may your evening turn into a time of inspiration and writing richness.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

I have seen situations to your mother's with respect to her health insurance coverage time and time again. I worked in medical collections for years, and specifically with elderly patients. If you ever have any specific questions regarding a particular insurance company, type of coverage, or how they interact with one another, please e-mail me. There is a great deal of information that you can obtain online if need be and often times this is a preferable way to obtain it, as compared to dealing with "human beings" (and I use the term loosely) that work at certain insurance companies and at Medicare.

My advise is to keep hard copy documentation on each and every charge from each and every lab and doctor and facility. They're all bound to screw up your mother's accounts. People that work for these companies are undertrained, overworked and underpaid, and frankly the chances are higher that there will be an error or errors made than not. You will be put in the position of prooving to them that they are wrong. I can almost guarantee that if a dispute arises, they will not be willing or capable of doing the work required to correct said error. If you do provide them with backup paperwork, keep copies for you own records, because one if their games is to "loose" the paperwork. Devon, I've seen it all in the medical collections industry, I really have. I've reported employees to supervisors who actually put incoming work in boxes and let it sit there while they took smoking breaks and that's only the tip of the iceberg. It's up to the patient and their representatives to monitor the billing. It shouldn't be like that, but it is. Again, if you have ANY specific questions, please feel free to ask!

I am wondering why she has two sets of private insurance though. She can have Medicare with a secondary and tertiary insurance, certainly, but in most cases the tertiary insurance isn't called upon. She can have a Medicare "HMO" with copay requirements. I hope that she isn't in fact overinsured.

I agree with you about the elderly woman giving her husband a hard time. Life is hard enough, especially when your elderly and ill. She doesn't need to add to the difficulty of the situation. How self serving is that? When I see people acting out like that, I really want to give them a good talking to. It raises my blood pressure, unfortunately, which is already high.

The healthcare system is not patient care driven. For how much PR that they produce, providers and insurance companies alike are profit driven. Patients come into the system and are treated with the goal of increasing their profit margins. There are a few good providers out there and even fewer insurance company representatives who still believe in the total care of the patient, but out of a thousand, I'd say perhaps there is one.

I've been waiting since May, jumping through hoops to have surgery, even though two surgeons said in May that I needed it. In the meantime, my shoulder has become worse, which requires painful physical therapy. I have an appointment this month and if they give me the run around again, I really don't know what I'll do. They have no idea what it's like for your mother or me or so many other people who have to live with the physical and mental challenges they're faced with. We're supposed to be square pegs that fit into square holes. If you're round, they tell you to roll. Yes, I understand your frustration all too well.

If there is ever anything I can do to help keep you up on your surfboard, please let me know. I'm treading water nearby. :)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

I hate hearing the bad news about your mom. Surely there's got to be something she can go. If there is, I'm sure you'll find it.

Eileens post was an eye opener and I hear ya on the Insurance Companies.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

I'm sorry to hear that unfortunate news about your Mom. It's a shame the medical establishment is so quick to write-off elderly patients. One day these doctors are going to have to contend personally with their own persistent health problems. Healthcare in this country is another dimension of Hell.

I hope the rest of the week goes better for you. d:)

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. :( I'll keep her in my thoughts. I don't know why drs are so quick to write people off.

As far as your elderly couple. Put them in the back of your mind for a story.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Sya said...

Definitely hope you have a better day and that the situation with your mom improves. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home