Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Waning Moon
Mercury Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Rainy and cold


Just so some of you get into perspective just how screwy our government is, roll this one around your head: A legislative bill is kicking around Congress (in empty corridors right now, since, supposedly, they’re off for the holiday) that will cut 142 billion dollars in spending. It will do so by taking it out of Medicare, education (as in, cutting school lunch programs, getting rid of music and art, etc.), health and welfare programs. Those hardest hit would be those promised aid by our President post-Katrina, senior citizens, and school-age children.

Why are they doing this? To EXTEND a tax CUT for the top 1% earners in the country, which doesn’t even run out for two more years.

That’s right – hurt those who lost everything in Katrina, senior citizens, school children and regular working people so those making a million dollars and up can get yet another TAX CUT.

That’s obscenity – and it’s our government at work.

NPR interviewed Senator Olympia Snow of Maine about this the other day. She had a few choice words for her fellow politicians.

Acupuncture was wonderful yesterday. I feel sooo much better. And it seems to have helped my mom as well. I look forward to going back next month for another treatment. I can actually turn my head far enough so I can look over my shoulder – always helpful if you need to change lanes driving on the highway. My mom had her first night of sleep all through the night, and waking up without pain. She’s moving better – I’d say she has five or six more degrees of motion than she had before it. Her colour’s better, her energy is better. What a relief!

Threatened to drop one of my students. Her work is not improving, it’s sloppy and disjointed because she refuses to focus. You CANNOT write outstanding prose when you’re also IMing your friends, watching TV and talking on your cell phone. Yeah, I’m sure some writers are doing just that. Some of them might even get published – occasionally. But you’ll never be the best writer you can be until you write mindfully. That means when you’re writing, you enter the world of your piece. COMPLETELY. I understand that sometimes parents have to keep one eye and one ear on the kids while they write. But even that uses a different part of your brain than all the other crap.

If you’ve gotten a stack of rejections lately, take a look at your writing process. You may be submitting sloppy work because you’re not giving it the attention it deserves and the work it needs in order to sparkle and catch an editor’s eye.

If she’s not going to take the work seriously and MAKE the time and space for it, if she doesn’t want it badly enough, there’s no point in wasting her money or my time. If she wants to play at being a writer, let her find a different “teacher” who will string her along and take the cash and let her continue her bad habits. She’s got talent. But she’s bone lazy, and I don’t know if that’s something that will ever change.

And I LOATHE lazy people. Doing ten things at once isn’t efficient use of your time if you’re doing all of them poorly.

It’s very easy to spot a piece written with distractions. The sentence cadences change.

Realized I was out of eggs this morning – and needed them for my cake. Out first thing to get eggs and top up the gas tank, so we can hit the road with a full tank in the morning.

In line at the register next to me was a kid, about ten, who was obviously sent in by his mom to pick up one thing and come right out. She’d given him a $20 bill. So the cashier starts yelling at him, “It’s too early! I don’t have change! What are you doing, coming in here with no change?”

So I said, “Why the hell are you yelling at HIM because you’re not doing your job? If you don’t have change, march your butt on over to your manager and get some! You’re here to serve US, the CUSTOMERS, not the other way around. We are not here for YOUR convenience. And don’t you EVER speak to a kid that way again when he’s simply trying to pay for his purchase.”

So he does that, gives the kid his change. And then, while I’m checking out, he grabs my newspaper off the belt and starts flipping through it. I snatched it back – I wanted roll it up and hit him with it, but that was going to far, even for me.

Some people simply should not deal with the public. I know that I’m one – therefore I don’t. This guy shouldn’t be, either.

But I got my eggs and I baked my cake.

On a fabulous positive note:

Click this link right now and go visit the Fringe Fantastic website. Colin Galbraith’s new book launches December 2, and the site has a variety of wonderful information, contest opportunities, a teasing taste of the book and more.

I don’t want to wish my life away, but I’m sure looking forward to December 2!

Designed and printed a temporary business card for Ink in My Coffee that I can give out this week in Maine. It’s done on Printmaster Gold, so, unfortunately, I can’t export it or use it for anything else. Which is a shame, because I like the graphics. Of course, since it’s clip art, I couldn’t actually USE the graphics for what I need – I have to come up with my own. But, as a quick, temporary card while the DE website is down, it’ll work.

Scary hockey news: Jiri Fischer of the Detroit Red Wings had a seizure on the bench last night, and the game was suspended. In true, quick-thinking hockey fashion, Steve Yzerman and Brendan Shanahan skated the stretcher across the ice, saving the medics the time it would take to bring it around the arena. The kid’s only 25. They had to perform CPR on him AND use the defillibrator while he was still in the bench area. He’s in the hospital, listed in stable condition. Best wishes for a quick recovery. Both teams must have been terrified.

What’s great about hockey players is that they’re used to having to make quick decisions. If something goes wrong, they don’t freeze or panic. They act. The time saved by their quick thinking and resourcefulness may well have saved Fischer’s life.

The chocolate raspberry cake is in the oven. I need to work on The Fix-It Girl, then catch the train in for day work. However, it’s late and I haven’t even showered yet, so I don’t know how much will actually get done.

I’ll be off line for a few days – have a wonderful, safe, fulfilling, and joyful holiday.

Devon

3 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

Enjoy your holiday, Devon! :)

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

Boy then my stuff is filled with distractions, between the kids and work my stuff trails off into a tangent and digressess and has loads of syntax and timeline errors. LOL! You'd love it. NOT!

Have a nice Thanksgiving. Stay Safe.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Enjoy your holiday. You've certainly earned it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home