Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Sunny and mild

The big challenge yesterday was not to fall asleep while working with a hot iron. Everything is sore, and I’m so tired I can barely stand up.

The yoga is helping, but it will take a long time. Standing for ten to twelve hours on concrete in the cold and rain, carrying heavy garment bags and/or racks of clothing for hours on end takes a toll. I had trouble lifting the show costumes yesterday to prep them.

Thought about The Fix-It Girl all day, although I didn’t get a chance to write more than my initial ten pages in the morning. Wrote Chapter Two (just over ten pages) this morning.

It’s working for me to write the piece first thing in the morning. The past few months, when I’ve sat at my desk, I’ve gone online, blogged, checked e-mail, etc. before starting my creative work. Mostly because I was worried about quick turn-around assignments.

But doing the work first, before I go online, makes for a more concentrated and better quality time of work.

Managed to do a page on Never Too Late yesterday, too, but only a page. I want to keep my toe in that one, with a page a day; I will probably only update the word counter once a week.

My muses seem to be working in tandem, although I can feel the Harpy/Fury Muse getting restless again. I’m wondering which project she will attach herself to. I hope it’s The Fix-It Girl, but it is beyond my control.

I came up with the title for a series of short stories I want to do, inspired by paintings. I jotted down the title and put it aside. No additional work this month. Unless it’s paid.

This morning’s session for NaNo went very, very well. I’ll have to do some fact checking about the technical elements of working on a Hollywood lot n 1932, but from my own years of experience on sets and backstage, the sense of activity and interaction is strong. And the characters are taking the piece and running with it. So far, so good. And I’m pushing myself very, very hard early in the month, just in case life decides to get further in the way down the line.

I’m reading Eric Maisel’s A Writer in Paris, which is interesting, but, because he’s a coach, also frustrating. Too much structure. Don’t tell me which days in Paris I get to write and which days I get to sightsee. I’m an adult. I am a writer. I can make those decisions for myself.

I’m looking forward to meeting fellow NaNo’ers tomorrow after work. I might just have to make a quick stop at Strand Book son the way.

Ordered some stuff I needed from Amazon. Some have to be bundled off and sent as holiday gifts; some are connected to The Fix-It Girl. I paid extra for 3-5 day shipping and they’re telling me it’ll be here by Nov. 21? Since when is that 3-5 days? Um, no. Amazon’s customer service has deteriorated rapidly in the past few months. Strand is much more reliable and customer-oriented. Probably because they’re an independent, and not as sprawling as Amazon’s become.

My Wednesday essay on The Scruffy Dog Review Blog is about the value of Trusted Readers, and the Wednesday poem is up on Circadian.

Today I start the web host move. So any mail going to me @the website address will bounce back. Please use alternate addresses as provided by the sites. The sites will be down probably for two to three weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have to write another essay for Kemmyrk, and then, off to the rest of my life and more writing.

Devon


The Fix-It Girl -- 5328 words (NaNo Goal – 50,000 words)
'Zokutou'Zokutou
5 / 50
(10.0%)


The Fix-It Girl – 5328 words (completion goal – 100,000 words)

'Zokutou'Zokutou
5 / 100
(5.0%)

1 Comments:

At 2:47 PM, Blogger Sya said...

Go you! I find it very admirable that you can work on more than one written project during Nano. Unfortunately, my mind is a little too one-track for me to do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home