Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Waxing Moon
Uranus Retrograde
Mars Retrograde
Cloudy and cool

I managed to do some work on Never Too Late on the train. What I love about the piece is that I can drop right back into it, even though so much of my time and energy is spent on The Fix-It Girl. I’m very eager to finish Fix-It and return to Never Too Late as my primary project.

I did a lot of thinking during the day work call (with lots of extra work because one of the lazy asses hadn’t done anything all weekend and I had three times the shirts for one of the characters to iron that I should have. And he’s paid for the hour before why?)

It’s mostly GDR thinking. For readers new to the blog, a group of us started doing something this year called Goals, Dreams, and Resolutions, a kind of business plan to help us achieve what we want and need to. I recently posted question for the 2006 plan, and will post my own answers after the first of the year.

I need to restructure my writing day. I don’t spend enough time on the business. Now that I’m not caught up in writing four serials (8000 words per week), I can figure out a saner way to get things done and get closer to my financial goals.

Creatively, I want to work on a Primary Project and a Secondary Project. Giving myself a five day work week, the goal for the Primary Project is to write 4 pages (approx. 1000 words) per day. The goal for the Secondary Project is 1 page (250 words) per day. If I write more on either of them, great. If I write more than 5 days per week – which I usually do – great. But I think those are sane goals.

There will also be projects that are “Resting” – that is, complete drafts that are percolating until revision time. Going back to rewrite doesn’t work for me – I need a bit of distance. So, there will be several projects at any given time Resting.

Then, there will be projects in Revision – those drafts that rested up and are ready for the next go round.

In the early part of the year, I will also be finishing up the unfinished serial projects – for my own benefit and for that of the unfulfilled subscriptions. Then, those projects will Rest and get in the queue for revision.

In and around that will come the short stories, articles, and business writing. I need to spend 3-4 hours per day on the business aspect of my writing. My creative energy is best early in the morning, so that is when I will work on Primary and Secondary projects. But I also need to schedule in focused time for proposals, pitches, publicity and the like. 3-4 hours of writing and 3-4 hours of business. There’s my 8 hour day. On days when I still do show, it’ll be a bit of a challenge. But if I stay focused and productive, my big area of falling short this year – the financial – should be straightened out.

Along those lines, I will set up a separate web site dealing with my business writing – press releases, speechwriting, radio spots, event scripting, brochures, etc. There’s some good money there, but, when potential clients come to my current site and see fiction listed, they get nervous. So, the corporate writing will be on its own site. I’ve already got it reserved, read the start-up manual for my new hosts, and set up email accounts.

All I have to say is thank goodness for Colin’s wonderful web manusal, because he explains things much more clearly and distinctly than the host manual, the Idiot’s guides or the Dummies guides. I can have the host manual open so I know their odd little system, and then have Colin’s manual open so I actually understand what it means.

Setting up the new site and revamping the DE site and the CC site will take a lot of time and effort. But doing it right will pay off down the line. It’s worth it. This year, I kept shunting aside really taking the time to properly learn the technical stuff and was far too lax on web maintenance. If I want my sites to have the impact they need to have to support my career, I have to put in the time and effort. No one can do it for me –even if I hired a webmaster (which I can’t afford right now), it still wouldn’t work as well as me properly learning everything and doing it myself. I need the flexibility and independence of self-maintenance.

Picked up some books I needed, including Truman Capote’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s¸ which I always wanted to read. It’s quite wonderful – so much so that I nearly missed my stop.

Almost all the holiday gifts are ordered – I should be done shopping by this weekend.

Today’s poem is up on Circadian. I need to put up my entry on The Scruffy Dog Blog – it’ll be sure to piss some people off, but oh well. I need to work on the Christmas story.

And I desparately need to do laundry.

2867 words on Fix-It Girl this morning, with some scenes that amused me as I wrote them. Hopefully, I’ll still be fond of them in the edits.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review


The Fix-It Girl – 24,109 words (NaNo goal 50,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24 / 50
(48.0%)



The Fix-It Girl – 24,109 words (completion goal 100,000)
Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
24 / 100
(24.0%)



Never Too Late – 59,125 words (completion goal 90,000)

Zokutou word meterZokutou word meter
59 / 90
(65.6%)

1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

Wow! You're moving right along, and I like the plan you've devised for getting your writing done and improving how you use your time. If only I can get my writing out of Resting! d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home