Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Wednesday, November 30, 2005
Waning Moon
Mars Retrograde
Mercury Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Weather? Don’t know – still dark


Not much to say. Got a bad case of the blues. Part of it is an unpleasant situation (which can’t be discussed here) that needs to be handled. Part of it is a series of unrelated events, which, taken separately, could be shrugged off, but, all hitting at once along with the Major Unpleasantness, just add up to . . .blues.

It happens, you get through it, you go on. It’s just no fun while you’re in the midst of it.

Day work was fine. I don’t have to work on Christmas Eve after all, which is great – two full days with my loved ones. Considering that one is only flying in for those two days, it’ll be great not to have to think about a show. I’ll be exhausted from the previous couple of weeks with no day off, but that’s life.

Got about 1000 words done on Fix-It Girl.

My downstairs neighbor (I only know him as The Vegetarian), has begun putting on his television on very loud early in the morning and late at night. I don’t know if it’s to drown out the thundering of the cats pretending to be water buffalo when they play, or if he just doesn’t realize that I can hear the actual words of the programs come up through the floor. He’s always been unusually quiet (as in, a couple of times I wondered if he was dead down there), so I don’t want to say anything. Plus, it can’t be easy when the girls are in full elephant mode.

Speaking of girls, I visited my friend A’s two yesterday after day work. Boy, where they glad to see me! They’d flung their bowls all over the place and pulled the cover almost off the futon. We set things to rights, and they had their supper and we played for a bit. I promised them I’d be back to stay with them tonight and tomorrow night. Mine will have a fit, but too bad.

The Recalcitrant Student and I have parted ways. She admitted that she wants to be a writer in theory – she wants acclaim for having written, she wants the parties, she wants a byline in The New Yorker and a spread in Vanity Fair. But she doesn’t actually want to sit down and do the work.

I told her she needs to find a different teacher, then. Someone who is more geared to marketing than writing. I’m about process, not product. Because when you have a solid foundation and a good relationship with your process, you come up with something good to market. And then you deal with the business. There are plenty of people who market first and are more interested in that aspect than in the work. I don’t read their work anymore because I don’t connect with it. But someone does, because they’re making a living, and good for them. But I am not the right teacher for someone who wants to take that route.

Okay, the TV downstairs is on so loudly that my lamps are shaking.

I have A LOT to do today before I leave for the city. And I don’t feel like doing any of it.

Oh, well.

Colin Galbraith has a wonderful poem up on today’s Circadian. Mik submitted some great photos of Fort Worth for 13 Journals (more to follow).

And there’s a press release out for my association with The Scruffy Dog Review:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/11/prweb315959.php

Which reminds me, I need to write the blog entry for SDR today. I had something I wanted to say – darned if I can remember it.

Worked on the text for the new DE web pages. I think the overhaul is going to be good, and much more suited to the work I’m doing now. The original pages were suited to My Life As A Serialist. And that life, at least for now, is over.

I see the life I want. I can taste it. Yet it is just out of my grasp for the moment. And I have to figure out how to get there.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review

5 Comments:

At 8:02 AM, Blogger No Filter: The Book said...

Thank you for the positive encouragement...

I have found writing the novel for NanoWriMo quite easy....

Although I had to skeleton out the ending ....

Not sure if I want to add a few days ...

edmund davis
http://nofilterbook.blogspot.com

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Sandy J said...

You really inspire me, Devon!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Lara said...

I really really REALLY hope you shake the Blues soon! They're no fun--especially around the holidays! Chin up, Sweetie!

:-)

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger David Bridger said...

May those blues evaporate immediately and completely. Healing thoughts for you, Devon.

Nice press release, btw.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger B. K. Birch said...

Take care and get rid of those blues!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home