Friday, December 09, 2005

Friday, December 09, 2005
Waxing Moon
Mars Retrograde (I can’t remember if it goes direct either today or tomorrow)
Saturn Retrograde
Snow!

It’s snowing! That always makes me happy, especially on the days when all I have to do is get the paper and then stay home. It’s expected that we’ll get up to ten inches. When I first woke up this morning, it was the hard, tiny snow, more like white rain than anything else. Now it’s the big, wet flakes. All the schools are closed, and I can work at my own pace today. I planned to go into the city for errands, but I think I’ll skip it.

My big cheer-up purchase yesterday was a lampshade. I mentioned that, on Wednesday, I found a lamp in storage and brought it back out. It’s a large, oyster-coloured ginger gar lamp and it looks perfect on the chest-of-drawers when one enters the living room. But it had no shade. I’d picked it up on eBay for about a two bucks and it arrived the week I moved, so it went into storage sans lampshade.

Well, now it’s here and it has a fawn-coloured suede shade on it. It gives a lovely warm glow and is just perfect.

I don’t like track lights or recessed lighting. I know they’re in fashion, but I don’t like them.

I like lamps.

Worked hard yesterday with both the Major Unpleasantness and The Situation. I’m starting to feel a bit more hopeful; I’m also afraid to do so for fear of getting hit with another shock. But, take each day as it comes, right?

Played with some story ideas. The interesting thing about the Vivian Stevens story is its process. I say it over and over – that each new piece is like reinventing the wheel. And it is.

Usually, I pour out a first draft. The characters tell me things, I write it all down, and then I worry about making sense of it in subsequent drafts.

In this, I experiment with sentences. It’s like trying on clothes – try on, discard, try again until you have the right fit. Kind of like doing five drafts at once. I’m wondering if that will truncate my editing process in the long run, or if I’m still going to have to go through the many drafts. We’ll see. Right now, I’m building the house of the story, brick by brick, tile by tile, only I’m looking at all the possible tiles and then choosing one, instead of simply slapping them in place and rearranging them later. It’s interesting.

Patricia Gallant has a lovely poem up on Circadian today. I found out that one of my stories will be published in January; and a local paper wants to run an article on my joining the staff of The Scruffy Dog Review. That will be good.

They asked for a photo and I don’t do photos, so we’ll see. I sent them the one in shadow that I’ve used for 13 Journals publicity – “The Writer at Work in Maine”.

I’m done playing that side of the publicity game. I’m not an actor; no one needs to know what I look like. My work in on the page, or on the computer screen. I'll discuss process and the writing life and all that, but MY life -- and, by extension my looks -- are not for sale. I am separate, and I have the right to be.

Now, then, back to work. I still have some heavy duty stuff to do today and early tomorrow, but I hope to sneak in pockets of writing in between.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review

2 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the snowfall. Wow, 10 inches? That's incredible. The snow rarely sticks here in Albuquerque! Your ginger jar lamp sounds lovely.

I can relate to how it feels to be hit with one shock after another. I'm hoping you'll have pockets of time to spend being warm, cozy, and relaxing in the midst of the storm. It's so important!

Take care.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Sandy J said...

I like lamps also. Hate overhead lights. Seems too harsh.

I love snow. We had an arctic front come in and we were supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow, but only ice showed up. Closed the town down for 2 days though, :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home