Friday, December 16, 2005

Friday, December 16, 2005
Last Day of Full Moon
Saturn Retrograde
Rainy and cold


I got home last night. Barely.

I raced out of the theatre, pounded over to cash my check. I was the last person they let in – the staff was frantic to get home before midnight (the strike deadline). People were practically rioting outside the doors.

I got my money and literally ran all the way across town to Grand Central Station. I shoved loiterers out of the way, grasped waving umbrellas and used them to leverage forward.

I made the 11:10.

Usually, after a show, I’m on the 11:40.

This meant I was all the way home by 11:58.

Getting off the train was another story. God forbid the MTA should actually make sure the platforms are safe. I should have been wearing hockey skates getting off the train. The entire platform was a literal sheet of ice. Not patches – one solid, unbroken sheet. There were about 15 of us who got off the train. We were strangers, but we held hands, took baby steps and maneuvered each other down the steps to get off the platform. We ended up having to walk down the center of the streets to get from the train station to wherever we were going, because the sides and the sidewalks were pure ice. The ice from the storm was covered with rain and the temperatures dropped rapidly, which meant it immediately froze smooth.

I did pitch into the hedge around my building climbing over an ice floe, but it was a soft hedge and I bounced right out.

Still not sure what’s really going on with the strike. I do think Peter Kalikow needs to be removed from his job. Not only did he give himself a raise of over 40 grand this year, demand that the new budget for next year be passed without any accommodations in it for the results of the negotiations, but he couldn’t even be bothered to show up until an hour before the strike deadline.

That is not negotiating in good faith.

The talks continue and, for now, things are still running. The rumour was that Metro North was going out, too, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. Now they’re saying they’re going to talk until Monday night.

I’m going to pack a suitcase anyway. Not sure yet if I’m going to take it in tonight or wait and take it in on Monday. Just in case.

I’m wondering which writing I should pack. That’s always the biggest worry. Because I’m going to pack something to work on in the stolen moments.

Of course, I think if our producers are that worried about people not making it in for the show, they should put us all up in the city, not just say, “you’re on your own, but you have to get here.” That makes me want to tell them what they can do with their show.

I’m at that point with the show anyway. I’m sick of the b.s. going on and I’m sick of the attitude of certain individuals who, frankly, don’t have the talent to back up the attitude.

Time to find other work. I’ve been there almost two years, and it’s natural to want to move on. I’m sick of cleaning up the messes when they don’t plan properly. I don’t like the changes being made in the show, and I don’t like some of the new people brought in.

However, part of my job is to be pleasant, so I’m going to grit my teeth and do so for the next X days.

I have to get some writing done and deal with the Major Unpleasantness and the Situation this morning, before attending the funeral and then figuring out what the heck is going on with the MTA.

Tomorrow will be HELL at the show – I’m doing two tracks I’m totally uncomfortable with, and there’s no reason, other than bad planning on their part, that I should be forced into them.

I’ve got to get the Christmas cards done this weekend, too. Urgh.

Tis the season to be cranky. I’m starting to empathize with the Grinch. And usually, I’m disgustingly cheerful by now.

And, for reasons I will reveal after the first of the year, it’s important to enjoy this holiday here at home.

Anyway, Ms. Grinch needs to feed herself some breakfast, dress for the funeral, and get some work done.

Urgh.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems

The Scruffy Dog Review

1 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Eileen said...

I can't believe with the liability issues at the very least that ice isn't salted or removed! It's a comforting thought to know that strangers looked out for the safety of one another.

Ms. Grinch, don't forget that at the end of the tale, he/she changed. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home