Saturday, December 10, 2005

Saturday, December 10, 2005
Waxing Moon
Mars DIRECT (as of 11 PM last night)
Saturn Retrograde
Sunny and COLD

I am one tired person.

Actually mailed the few overseas cards I’ve written. THAT’s a step in the right direction.

Cleaned the place like crazy all morning; ran some errands – which included buying a real pine wreath – more on that later – and put up the rest of the Christmas/Yule/Holiday décor.

The place looks great and I am whupped.

Okay – the wreath. I have a fake tree – I started doing that five, six years ago. I love real trees, but I felt guilty about not being able to plant it in the backyard; I have lots of glass ornaments, and, when the tree started to fade, the ornaments were in peril; the cats climbed the tree, tipped it over – that sort of thing.

So I went fake.

But this year, I decided I MUST have a real wreath to hang on my front door – in spite of the difficulty of the Situation, dammit, I’m going to have some holiday cheer.

Well, I went to several different places. Expensive wreaths. Pick ‘em up and all the needles fall down and you’re standing there with a bunch of florist’s wire and bare branches.

Um, no.

Go to Home Depot and find a fresh balsam wreath.

16” in diameter.

The width of my front door is 18”.

I bought it.

Basically, to get into and out of the house, you climb through the wreath. You have to coax it and ask nicely and say “pretty please” when you try to shut the door, because part of the wreath wants to stay inside and play. The cats are just . . .mystified. But it’s all good. Because I bought a plain one and decorated it myself, and, believe me, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING quite, um, like it out there.

If I can get some good photos, I’ll post ‘em.

Decorating always takes me forever because every ornament has a story, and I have to revisit each story with each ornament. Sort of like an oral history of my life.

I’m telling you, if it got any more festive in here, you would just want to throw up.

I need a 12 room Victorian Gothic house just for my ornaments.

The only place the crèche would fit is on that bookcase – in front of The Bobbsey Twins and To Kill a Mockingbird (don’t ask why they’re next to each other). The little Eastern European Christmas Village with its carolers only has room to squeeze in next to Anubis. Winged Isis and the Nutcrackers are sizing each other up, and Medusa and Santa are entering into a . . well, ahem, let’s just pull some tinsel rope over and give them their privacy.

The cats are happy, and the breakables are fastened firmly so they can’t be dislodged by wandering tails. And candles are covered, so no fur catches on fire as little paws pick their way through the displays . . .

Now, to rest . . .

Devon

1 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Debra Young said...

"...The little Eastern European Christmas Village with its carolers only has room to squeeze in next to Anubis. Winged Isis and the Nutcrackers are sizing each other up, and Medusa and Santa are entering into a . . well, ahem, let’s just pull some tinsel rope over and give them their privacy."

lol; I've my five East European Santas trying to find their way through my Christmas village; and the pine and cranberry swags insist on sneaking into the book cabinets; fortunately Kuan Yin is not having to share shelf space with the tall and somber wooden Santa this year. d:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home