Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sunday, December 4, 2005
Waxing Moon
Mars Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Snowing!


We expect 2-4 inches of snow today, and another big storm coming in tomorrow night. It’s really coming down -- it’s beautiful. Eventually, I will venture out to walk somewhere to get a newspaper – not driving in this weather! Of course, the only grocery store in walking distance closed, and the bagel shop no longer carries my newspaper of choice!

I was going to drive a carload of boxes into storage, but changed my mind. Not worth putting myself at such a big risk. I have enough to worry about without a car accident being on that list.

No creative writing done yesterday – it was all about dealing with The Situation. I feel a little better about things – all I can do is go along day by day, and hope that I don’t get so exhausted I lose the ability to think quickly on my feet.

How much do I hate Saturn Retrogrades?

Anyway, I had a lovely respite at the beginning of the day meeting my friend and writer colleague B.K. Birch, who is in NY this weekend with a bunch of friends. I think there are eight or nine of them, total. B.K. and I chatted as though we’ve known each other forever – well, we DO “talk” via email a few times every day – in some ways, she knows me better than the people who see me regularly at the show.

We met up at Ellen’s Stardust Diner on Broadway. It has a great marketing department and the place is usually full, because they have singing waiters (Broadway hopefuls). Well, honey, there’s a reason a lot of them aren’t on the Great White Way. They pass around a bucket, with the pitch that they’re all paying for their own karaoke equipment, vocal lessons etc. – keep taking those lessons, boys and girls! You need them! Actually, one guy had a lovely voice, but the rest . . . need to keep working. The service was appallingly poor – only in a popular tourist site would they get away with that – locals would not put up with it. The food was okay – not brilliant, but not bad. Basically, they have great marketing people and that’s keeping the place full. I don’t think they get too many repeat customers.

Fortunately, the company was absolutely delightful. And more than made up for the lack of quality in the restaurant itself.

The show is a half a block away from the diner, so we all wandered over to the stage door and I took them around backstage to give them an idea of the complexity of putting on a Broadway show eight times a week. I couldn’t take them onstage – I love to take people on stage and let them stand and look out at the house and experience what it’s like to stand on a Broadway stage – because there was a paid tour on stage at the time. But I think they had fun. It is an astonishing production and it takes an enormous combination of skill and commitment to get it up. It’s good for people to see that the illusions don’t happen by themselves. People create them – actual humans – and work WITH the audience for each production in order for the piece to work.

That’s why people keep coming back to see the same show over and over. Because it’s live and no two performances are ever exactly alike.

You can revisit a good film and go deeper into it each time. But a live theatre production will always be different.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review

1 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Eileen said...

I would love to see a Broadway production one day. In the meantime, I'm grateful for the opportunity to read entries you share about what bringing a show to the stage involves. It's fascinating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home