Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Tuesday, December 6, 2005
Waxing Moon
Mars Retrograde
Saturn Retrograde
Snowy

Up at 4:27 AM yesterday, a few minutes before the alarm. Got everything done here, and on the 6:05 express train. The ride in wasn’t fun, but going over to the V train and taking it out to Queens was fine. Then, I had to figure out the streets – 34th STREET or 34th AVENUE – which cross each other – in order to find Kaufman Astoria Studios.

It was a long day – I was on the clock at 8:15 AM. I was released at 9 PM, and they still had plenty to shoot.

But the work itself was fine. My background extras were all nice – only one problem child who will be “core” – figures, there’s a problem and it’s with someone who’s back a lot. I mostly handled the battered bride, the bloody groom, and the transvestite. I checked the other 30+ in between takes and got their photos, but their clothes were simple. I had a few dressed as cops and court officers, and we changed one guy who was originally meant to be an office worker into a delivery guy, when the creative team decided they wanted to add that kind of activity to the scene.

I like the people, the atmosphere was fine. This is yet another pilot, but the series is definitely a go. So, they’re taking their time because they’re setting up not just this episode, but what’s to come.

The speed is much slower than it was on the last pilot. Part of that is the difference in the creative team. On the last pilot, they came in prepared to the last detail, and it was all about executing it quickly on a tight budget. With this, because the first season’s episodes are secure, there’s a different kind of pressure; they definitely made more room to change ideas and direction on set. Both ways have pluses and minuses, and it will be interesting to see the finished product of each.

I’m going back in next Monday – we’re shooting outside all day in a cemetery in Queens with 120 mourners. My supervisor guaranteed me it would be miserable out there. But I have my Timberland boots and my LL Bean coat and I’ll slap a few body warmers on. I’ll be fine.

I took the R train back into the city, and got off at the wrong stop. I thought I was getting off closer to Grand Central Station – in reality – I’d gotten off at 60th St. and 5th Ave. It was snowing hard in Queens when I left the studio. The snow was much lighter when I got back to the city. I walked down the beautifully decorated Fifth Avenue and enjoyed myself. New York dresses itself up nicely for the holidays. I even found myself humming Christmas Carols.

In other words, I’m a bit more cheerful and hopeful now. I’m mapping out options for dealing with The Situation. And I’ll figure something out.

Barely managed to stay awake on the train home. But I did, had a glass of wine, and went to bed.

Up at a reasonable hour today. I’m going to try to get a little bit of writing done before I have to catch the train back in to the city to go to the theatre. I also want to leave a note for my neighbor – her mother just died, and I want to see if there’s anything I can do.

My friend Mik forwarded me an email from a new publisher looking for material. I checked out the website, which looks good, read through everything, and sent them a few questions. They answered quickly, with detailed information, and seem very organized and ethical. And said they're eager to see my work. I think I’ll work on a submission for them. I was playing with some ideas between takes yesterday, and there’s one in particular that seems as though it would work for them.

I also made a list of what has to happen next with the stories that used to be serials. I need to devote a bit of time each day to that.

Lots to do, and pressed for time on all sides – soon, I’ll be in at the show for Holiday Hell, the Situation will loom for the next several months, and I still have to get out the holiday cards.

I decided to dump the Christmas story this year. It just doesn’t work, and trying to rush it will mean I give as a gift something less than my best to people important to me. I’d rather keep working on it and send it out next year.

Hopefully, in a year from now, I will have come through all this tumult and be much better situated, in every sense of the word.

Time to write.

Devon
The Thirteen Traveling Journals Project
Circadian Poems
The Scruffy Dog Review

5 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Michelle Miles said...

I'm thinking about submitting something to them too. They sound quit promising.

Have a great day! :)

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Lara said...

Gosh I hope The Situation improves for you, whatever it is.
Hope you keep warm during the graveyard shoot!
We're getting 7-10 inches of snow today, and tomorrow's high will be 7 degrees.

And to think I moved from Wisconsin to "greener patures." ;-)

Hope the Spirit of the Holidays keeps you cheerful!
:-)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger David Bridger said...

Thinking of you. And I hope The Situation plays out exactly how you want it to.

I just read your account of walking down Fifth Avenue to two of my daughters, who squealed with envy! They're only 20 and 17, but somehow I don't think it'll be too long before they realise their ambition and make a shop-till-they-drop visit to NY.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger busy91 said...

The R train confuses me, I hate taking it and the Q train. Oh well, at least you got to see the pretty decorations. If you walked down fifth you must have passed Sacks.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Just got back after a hiatus, due to computer issues. I am really thinking of you, and hoping everything works out. Hang in and all that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home